What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Details iPad 3G Service Sign-Up and Management

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
via MacRumors:

With today's launch of iPad pre-orders in the U.S., Apple has also released additional information about the device and associated services. While 3G-capable models of the iPad will not be available until late April, Apple has provided an overview of how customers will sign up for and manage their 3G data service on the device.

As previously revealed, customers can choose from either of two contract-free data plans in the U.S. through AT&T: $14.99 per month for 250 MB or $29.99 for unlimited data. Customers can sign up for service directly on the iPad and can cancel or re-enroll at any time.So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you'll be traveling and cancel when you get back. You don't need to visit a store to get 3G service. You can sign up, check your data usage, manage your account, or cancel your service -- all from your iPad.
Data service is activated on the iPad through its Settings application, offering a simple screen allowing the user to select a plan and a credit card payment method.

092606-3g_billing_1.jpg

Once access is activated, the application offers a clear overview of the customer's service details, including active dates of service and amount of data used and amount/time remaining for customers on the 250 MB plan. Apple also notes that customers on the 250 MB plan will received three alerts (20%, 10%, and 0% remaining) to keep them apprised of their remaining data limits.

092606-3g_billing_2.jpg

Users can also easily manage their service through the Settings application, allowing them to change plans or cancel service automatically at the end of any billing period. Users on the 250 MB service plan can also select to automatically boost their plan to unlimited service once they reach their limit.

092606-3g_billing_3.jpg

AT&T's 3G service plans for the iPad also provide users with access to over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots. And all iPad models support 802.11n Wi-Fi for optimum performance.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the way they have the 3G set up. I will sell my non-3G once I am able to get the 3G unit, it's too handy.

19hole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No 3G for me. I have unlimited data on my 3G phone and it is also a wifi hotspot. I will just pair my iPad to the phone and get all of the dat that way. No extra data charge!!!

Juraviel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@19hole
Unfortunately tethering will not be avaible on the iPad. Meybe if you jailbroke it, otherwise not.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he means he will use the phone as a wifi hotspot for the iPad.

I wonder if you will have all the GPS features and map features though if you are using wifi compared to 3G.?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
19hole
No 3G for me. I have unlimited data on my 3G phone and it is also a wifi hotspot. I will just pair my iPad to the phone and get all of the dat that way. No extra data charge!!![/QUOTE]

What kind of phone do you have?

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the fact that Apple is allowing customers the option to set overflow to the unlimited, in case you do use over 250M, its much better as long as you aren't paying the full $30 if it does, instead of pro rating the charge for the month.
Meaning choosing 250M @ $14.99, you go over, they charge you difference for unlimited $30 monthly rate.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also like the overflow to unlimited. I will be on WiFi most of the time but will occasionally need 3G when traveling. The $14.99 plan seems the best option for me, however, the 250MB cap had me concerned. With the overflow option I can opt for the least expensive plan and get bumped up to the unlimited when the need arises. However, like you said, this would only really work if you don't get charged another $30 on top of the $15 you already paid.

Most reactions

Latest posts