What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App Updates require passcode

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i just know that I’m going to look utterly stupid when I see the answer, but hey ho!

I have two iPads running the latest iOS.12 and on one I can update apps via the App Store just by hitting Update or Update All yet on the other I always have to enter my App Store password. We are talking updates only here, not Purchases or in-app Purchases.

I have looked, clearly unsuccessfully, for a setting that is different but have been unable to find one. :-(

Where do I look and what do I need to change to update apps without requiring password or touch authorisation?

I appreciate that all this will probably change when iOS13 comes along but if someone can put me out of my iOS12 misery I shall be most obliged.

Thanks in advance.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, LannyC. I’ve looked in there and nothing seems, to me at least, to be amiss and as far as I can tell from Settings, I should be able to update existing apps by touch and should not need to type in the code.

However, I have just upgraded to 13.1.1 and the “problem” persists! If I download books, I can do that just by touch but not update apps.

If you could suggest which setting might be wrong then that would be very much appreciated. I may be suffering from a false memory but I labour under the impression that updates worked merely by tappimg “Update” or “Update all”.

I’m still prepared to feel utterly stupid if this can be resolved one way or the other! Maybe the problem lies more in what passes for my mind? ;-)

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, twerppoet, thanks for your suggestion. I tried that and alas it didn’t work.

I have now updated to iOS 13.1.2 and the problem persists.

I discovered that if (under 13.1.2 at least, I hadn’t discovered this before uograding) I hit “Update” alongside each individual app I am not asked for the password but if I hit “Update All” then I am asked for it.

Based upon this I assume that, in 13.1.2 at least, there is an as yet unresolved bug - unless you have any further thoughts?

Thanks again for your suggestion.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, thanks.

A browse around reddit reveals a couple of other lost souls who experience the same thing and one who has the same workround (great minds think alike :)) and another says that they have contacted Apple who recommend changing the Apple ID password.

I’ll wait until they report back to see whether that is a solution and post news of their success or failure here.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, I have no idea why, but if in the App Store app I click Update All it asks for my password. if I click each individual app's Update button then it doesn't.

Also, if I have, in Settings > iTunes & App store > Automatic Downloads > App Updates set to On, I am periodically and randomly asked to enter my Apple password. I presume that the password request was when iOS13.n wanted to download more than one updated app, but I cannot be sure of that. if it is set to off I am not randomly asked.

I've turned off the automatic update option as I got fed up with having to enter my password or click Cancel!

Clearly there's a bug (sorry, what programmers would call an undocumented feature) around the Update All logic.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not a bug that affects everybody as I have never experienced it the entire time I’ve owned Apple devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts