What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App to convert MS Office files to PDF?

pdaunno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for an app that will let me convert an MS Office file (.docx, .xlsx, etc.) to a PDF from within Mail. I want to preserve the tracking of changes and comments primarily. I can do this with no problem from my computer but would like a way to do it right on my iPad when I'm traveling and don't have my computer with me. Does any type of utility like this exist? Otherwise I think I'll get Docs to Go since I know it can handle viewing of tracking changes and comments.

Thanks!
-Paul

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "Pages" app can do this, albeit in a rather roundabout way. It's an app you may want to consider getting anyway, as it has some WP functionality; it can deal with .doc files and can mimic MSWord to some extent.

If you open the file in Pages, you can then email it to yourself in PDF form - it gives you a choice of formats. Once you have it in PDF, there are several apps that will handle annotations etc. Goodreader is an excellent one; other members may have different suggestions.

For .xls files, the equivalent app "Numbers" may do the same thing, but I am by no means a financial genius so I avoid .xls files, LOL.

OP
P

pdaunno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but Pages cannot handle Word's track changes so if you open up a Word doc that has track changes enabled, Pages will not carry those forward. Based on everything I've been able to learn it seems like Documents to Go is the only solution right now.

marceloathila

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Up your files to Google Docs and export as a pdf on Google Docs options, this is not the best way, but it is the only one I have.
"I'm looking for an app that will let me convert an MS Office file (.docx, .xlsx, etc.) to a PDF from within Mail."x2

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From Office 2007 onward, you can directly save a file as PDF.

Microsoft Office web app is also fully compliant with Office files.

OP
P

pdaunno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
As noted by the OP, no problems doing this in normal, but he wants to exclusively use his iPad to do it :)

That is correct. I ended up buying Documents to Go Premium and so far it works great with tracked changes and comments in Word (docx) files opened directly from Mail.

OP
P

pdaunno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Have you tried Office To PDF app?

The Archangel

I haven't tried that one. It looks very interesting. Since it's done on their server and not locally on the iPad it would violate my company's security policies.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdaunno said:
I haven't tried that one. It looks very interesting. Since it's done on their server and not locally on the iPad it would violate my company's security policies.

Can you not email a file to yourself? It converts straight out of the mail app.

The Archangel

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you looked at Print2pdf? I just bought it, and it seems to work fine on smaller files---but it crashes on my large ones.

OP
P

pdaunno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I have what I need for now but will check out these apps for other uses.

Most reactions

Latest posts