What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App Store App vs. DuckDuckGo?

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
For example, the App Store has hotel booking apps, e.g. Hotels.com. I could use it to make a hotel reservation, or I could go online with DDG and reserve that way.

Thing is, I trust the App Store 99.5%, but using DDG, I get useful information and functionality, if you’re familiar with it, you know what I mean. Privacy grade, trackers, firewall function, etc.

I’m sure any app allowed in the App Store would be tested first, but DDG tells me things and does things that make me feel secure, too.

So, what’s the more secure choice, and why?

Thank You

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Duck Duck Go only protects you browsing/search history. It won’t keep dishonest or poorly secured sites from giving or leaking your reservation data. And while Apple is likely to kick any app out of the store that misrepresents it’s privacy policies, that’s something they can only do after someone catches them.

So, it all comes down to trusting the reservation company to be both honest, and run a reasonably secure service. Either route, if you pick reputable companies the risk should be low. Pick the too-good-to-be-true companies, and you’re as safe as you would be in any back alley.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aerofly, thanks for the link, it’ll be an interesting read for me!

twerpoet, thanks for your reply. I see your logic, and I do believe in Apples’ integrity. I hope that when an App Store app is updated, it is retested for obvious reasons. Lotta apps in the App Store!

OTOH, DDG gives you real-time info, especially I like their Privacy Grade feature and all the info it provides about the sites you visit, and Privacy Grades are subject to change, *possibly giving an incentive for websites to improve their security, *or if a site is poorly secured, DDG let’s you know that, so you can make an informed choice about visiting it. And, DDG has firewall functionality, I never got an app from the App Store that had that feature, and I don’t know why not. Shouldn’t they?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I also use Duck Duck Go most of the time. Though I don’t pay much attention to the extra features you mentioned. Just don’t care for Google’s tracking; when I can avoid it.

Safari will also warn you about unsecured sites, or sites with expired certificates.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may find it interesting, next time you use DDG, tap the Privacy Grade icon- you’ll find lots of information there, including who is tracking you (Google is the biggest offender, classified as a ‘major tracker,’) and lots more. Also, a summary of the site’s vulnerabilities. E.g., I’m on Safari now, it just says ‘Not Secure.’ DDG tells you why: Unencrypted site!

I didn’t know Safari warns about expired certificates. I’ve never had a warning like that in Safari, is it automatic or do you have to know how to check it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you’re on a site that still uses the http protocol instead if the more modern https, you’ll see a not secure notice in the search bar at the top of the page when using Safari.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Expired certificates generate a notification, and you have to approve continuing to the site if. It might require turning on “Fraudulent Website Warning) in Settings > Safari. I’m not sure. I have it on. I think it’s on by default.

If you check your URL bar in Safari on this site, you’ll see it says “Not Secure” next to the abbreviated URL (when browsing). It does that for all old http:// sites. There used to be a little open/closed lock icon in the URL bar. I guess Apple decided to be more explicit.

(edit note) Didn’t see Scifan already covered that before I finished typing.

Last article I saw comparing Safari with other major web browsers’ security showed it doing fairly well. It wasn’t the most secure, but it only lacked when compared to a third party browser focused on privacy. I forget which one. Wasn’t Chrome or Edge.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57, I’ll be going to https sites only, I’d bet that I can find what I’m looking for on those more secure sites. Right now, I won’t go to any http sites as that *may be risky.

twerppoet, I was surprised to hear that Safari isn’t the most secure and private major browser for Apple machines! JMHO, who better than Apple to create the best functionality apps for Apple’s own hardware?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
scifan57, I’ll be going to https sites only, I’d bet that I can find what I’m looking for on those more secure sites. Right now, I won’t go to any http sites as that *may be risky.

twerppoet, I was surprised to hear that Safari isn’t the most secure and private major browser for Apple machines! JMHO, who better than Apple to create the best functionality apps for Apple’s own hardware?

In my opinion Safari is the best all around browser on iOS. That does not mean that third party apps can’t be better than it in specific areas; like security for instance. This is true for all Apple’s app. If a company chooses to put all it’s resources in one app, they can generally make a better app than a company that has a ton of apps, hardware, and other products on it’s table. Or at least more focused on specific uses and/or preferences. Otherwise, why bother with an App Store with dozens of different note, browser, word processors, spreadsheets, to-do lists, and other choices.

People care most about different stuff.

It’s also important to note that there is no standard for “most secure”. Every reviewer brings their own biases about what is and is not important, and which issues outweigh others. Among the top web browsers, you can find articles arguing each of them is better than the others; for whatever reasons you can imagine. :)

I could not find the article I remembered. So I can’t offer a personal opinion on what or why they may have been right/wrong about; or which app won. I just remember that the one thing that Safari didn’t do as well as the winner, I couldn’t be bothered to care about.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, I guess people have different preferences/priorities/biases if you will. It’s just up to them to do the homework so they can make the best decision for their needs.

I would expect Safari to be the most compatible browser for iOS, because Apple made them both.

No, there is no standard for *most secure. There are no absolutes. There are different degrees of security, though, so if that’s a concern, getting educated about security is advisable in order to make an informed decision.

:)

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think if you are worried at all about tracking etc., then you really should be thinking about using a reputable VPN service.

Aerofly, DDG blocks trackers and tells you who they are. I like that!

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aero fly, I *guess both can be used together online, complementing each other.

Most reactions

Latest posts