What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone on here know someone or have experience with developing iPad apps?

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I need to speak with someone about helping with development on an iPad app that would be along the line of a CAD app. I've been finishing the concept, but need someone that knows the programming angle. I just don't have time to learn it fast enough. Reading various reviews online with both iTunes and several architectural magazines, think this could be a pretty good selling app if it got approved.

If there is anyone out there with some contact points for me, please let me know. I know there are places you can talk to that will develop your concept and then you get a portion of proceeds but I'm trying to reserve that route for last.

seg316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest the computer science department at your local college. I found a couple of guys here in my town that were full-time students and had already written a few apps. You might be able to pay someone a set fee or hourly fee, and keep potential sales for yourself.

OP
J

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Yup, I think that would sell really well to. Thanks for sharing this with us

Sorry I was vague with my original post as far as details. Basically, I've been going through all of the CAD apps out so far for the iPad and seen each of them lack certain, I guess, drawing abilities that would make them much more suited for the real world and a broad market revolving around residential and commercial floor plan drawing and rendering. If I'm right, the focus I want to use on the app would actually be of use to not only builders, architects and developers, but also tax assessors, home insurance companies, fire and disaster companies that need to quickly enter accurate plans while onsite and then transfer to a main computer for the true finsh work. I think if it were marketed correctly, it could even have a pretty strong hit from people thinking about building their own houses (if that market ever recovers).

I'm actually a residential designer and was a builder for many, many years, but have grown up with computers and specialized CAD systems and have targeted some particular details that make one CAD app work where others completely fail. Just primarily setting some presets that would be easy to adjust and not have to deal with the constant line offsets and garbage like that normally associated with straight CAD programs.

Like I said, I didn't mean to sound like an idiot being really vague, just trying to keep enough of the details down that I don't want to hit myself in the head if I see something like what I'm thinking develop in te future and make a good deal of sales. Especially if I find the details match exactly what I had described online.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my iPad! So much that I also want to develop for it.

I've been a PC fan for years, but just bought a MacBook so I can start looking into iPad/iPhone development. I'm a software engineer by profession, by the way, having primarily used C/C++ and Flash ActionScript. Last time I programmed on an Apple was a Mac II (?) back in the late 80's, so this promises to be an adventure!

OP
J

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Love my iPad! So much that I also want to develop for it.

I've been a PC fan for years, but just bought a MacBook so I can start looking into iPad/iPhone development. I'm a software engineer by profession, by the way, having primarily used C/C++ and Flash ActionScript. Last time I programmed on an Apple was a Mac II (?) back in the late 80's, so this promises to be an adventure!

Another friend of mine has my interest up also. He said to get back into program, that the iPad format is really one of the best and easiest starting points. I've already got the MacBook Pro and he pointed out some learning materials, so I may have to play a little when I develop some more time. I would love to be able to work on something like this myself. Very rewarding, I'm sure.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to check out iTunes-U on iTunes. You can download some instructional videos from Apple discussing iPhone development.

OP
J

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
You might want to check out iTunes-U on iTunes. You can download some instructional videos from Apple discussing iPhone development.

Oh, now that could be very worthwhile! Thanks.

I just got all 21 videos downloaded (about 10GB of data) and am syncing them onto my iPad right now!

Darvell

You're killing me. I've got too much work (proposals to get work and actual work) to even thing about this before the weekend! May just have to go ahead and download them and have them ready. ;)

sharonlcohen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App Development

I do not have any technical ability at all, so when I decided to develop my "Family&MeReader" (launching next month), I started to interview ipad app developers throughout the world. I found a wonderful developer in India (where many developers are these days) who has helped me go through the whole process step by step from defining my design to marketing. For the very reasonable price I am paying, it is well worth it. If you want more info, just let me know.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's cool, Sharon. Good idea!

Since my day job is a programmer, tho, I want to make my own apps.

Last nite I created my first iPad app! Well, okay, I downloaded sample code, didn't modify it, but just built it with Xcode, then ran it on the iPad simulator on my new MacBook. But hey, I verified the process and am now ready to start learning objective C programming.

Most reactions

Latest posts