What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know how to copy text?

lrg32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I didn't know how I should word the title but what im trying to do is make a word doc. list of all the movies I have on my hard drive (which is a few hundred). Now rather than sitting there and typing the names of each movie I have, is there a way to copy all the text of the files and paste it to a word doc or? some other possible way??

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if it matters, i'm on a mac:)

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1 The first step if you want to learn how to cut, copy and paste on an iPad is to turn on the iPad (sounds obvious right?). Next, go to any screen that has text on it.

This can be a web page, email, text, or inside an App among others. As long as the letters aren't ingrained in an image, you can copy and paste it.

Now, touch and hold your finger on the iPad screen on the text you wish you to highlight.

Remove your finger from the screen and a few buttons will pop up that say "Cut", "Copy", and "Paste". You will also see that a word of text has been highlighted.

Drag the highlight over whatever text you wish you copy on your iPad. Once selected, press either "Cut" or "Copy" depending on what you want to do.

Finally, to paste on an iPad you need to navigate to whatever text entry box you wish to paste into. Again this can be email, text, or essentially any other input space.

Press and hold a finger on this text field until the "Paste" button appears. Press this button and you have just copied and pasted on your iPad

Source:D
How to Copy and Paste On An iPad | eHow.com

BraedenP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could write a bash script that takes the filenames of all the files in your video directory and puts them in a text file, but depending on the size of your collection, that may just take more effort than it's worth.

I'd write the script for you, but I'm a Windows guy, so unless you can use a Windows script (have Windows installed in Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.) I won't be able to help you in that department.

If your collection is only a few hundred (or less) titles, however, I'd say to just take 15 mins and write them out.

1 The first step if you want to learn how to cut, copy and paste on an iPad is to turn on the iPad (sounds obvious right?). Next, go to any screen that has text on it.

This can be a web page, email, text, or inside an App among others. As long as the letters aren't ingrained in an image, you can copy and paste it.

Now, touch and hold your finger on the iPad screen on the text you wish you to highlight.

Remove your finger from the screen and a few buttons will pop up that say "Cut", "Copy", and "Paste". You will also see that a word of text has been highlighted.

Drag the highlight over whatever text you wish you copy on your iPad. Once selected, press either "Cut" or "Copy" depending on what you want to do.

Finally, to paste on an iPad you need to navigate to whatever text entry box you wish to paste into. Again this can be email, text, or essentially any other input space.

Press and hold a finger on this text field until the "Paste" button appears. Press this button and you have just copied and pasted on your iPad

Source:D
How to Copy and Paste On An iPad | eHow.com
I think he's referring to a file list on his Mac. I don't think this has anything to do with copy/pasting text on his iPad. I'm pretty sure he wants to take a file listing from a directory, and put the movie titles into a text/doc file.

OP
lrg32

lrg32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes i was referring to doing this on a mac, and exactly how you put it, take a file listing from a directory, and put the movie titles into a text/doc file.

Unfortunately i dont have windows installed on my mac. Im sure this is a way but yeah if nothing else, I can just type it all out.

thanks for the responses.

Most reactions