What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone hoping for new ios UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aha,why does it always have to endup in misunderstanding? I am a minimalist myself,I like everything to be simplest in it's form and iOS is the simplest ever OS that is unique in it's own ways,I like it's simplicity and yet elegance in fullest and this combination is very rare in tech industry and mostly UI departments. There is no problem with iOS,it's just us who are SOOO USED TO complicated UI that we are feeling in the unknown to operate such simple yet elegant and precise UI that gets the work done without bunch of clicks and fuss. I don't know about others but am a fan of iOS simplicity.

About the apple profit and sales thingy,I can say its more related to that "wow!" or the "coolest ever" air that seems to stick with apple products. Most of the apple device owners(excluding us in this forum as we know what we are using and why) are super rich dudes with bag load of money with few ways to spend,or coolists who think owing an expensive thing is awesomeness. Its more comparable to the dreams of most folks having an urge to own that latest BMW or Porsche for no apparent reason.

No one is saying iPad is a piece of nothing,but since we kind of paid for it and that too a good sum,we want some goodness,and asking for an universal access storage for every app in iOS instead of giving their own copies of same stuff is not much I believe. iPad is a great device and introduced a whole new level of innovation and usability in the world of tablets but as with every device it has it's limitations but most of which unlike many other devices are fairly easy to address and solve,now that I will let for apple to work on. I honestly believe that if iPad didn't exist the tablet computer industry would be in darkness forever or would shine in some far future when they are the only computers that people operate,and the race to make portable devices better wouldn't exist at all. iPad owns some great thanks for stirring up both tablet and cellphone industry.

As with everything in this world there are both way logics,but let us not fight for it because that fighting or arguing isn't going to give any earth shaking,glorifying benefits or make awesome changes so let's stick to the topic and say we would like a rebuild of iOS with a bit of new touch,some new changes as the iOS UI has become pretty old and kind of boring despite it's simplicity and elegance. But if you are so keen to argue again let me know beforehand so that I can restock enough popcorn for the show :)

Thanks

Last edited:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have refrained from commenting over the past few days but I would like to say that I really don't think that a requirement for common file system is just the province of techno geeks, it's a basic requirement.

1. To be able to share Word, PDF etc documents freely between apps not just when the apps have thought to provide for it.

2. To copy files to and from the iPad using file manager rather than iTunes.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand all of this hand-wringing and almost belligerent tone of all of these posters who hate the iPad's "limited" OS. Just use something else. Buy an Android device. I'm not "simple minded" when it comes to gadgets. I just like the simplicity and elegance of the iPad. It just works. If some people want to go to Android or whatever, more power to them. I'll stick with Apple, thank you.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To quote leonardo “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

heh my mind is not simple it's sophisticated...........I rest my case :)

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand all of this hand-wringing and almost belligerent tone of all of these posters who hate the iPad's "limited" OS. Just use something else. Buy an Android device. I'm not "simple minded" when it comes to gadgets. I just like the simplicity and elegance of the iPad. It just works. If some people want to go to Android or whatever, more power to them. I'll stick with Apple, thank you.

Well I think my post (at least) was decidedly non-belligerent, intentionally so.

Something that I really don't understand is why such suggestions evoke such passionate responses.

I don't hate the iPad because of any limitations that I perceive, I would like to see them addressed though.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I think my post (at least) was decidedly non-belligerent, intentionally so.

Something that I really don't understand is why such suggestions evoke such passionate responses.

I don't hate the iPad because of any limitations that I perceive, I would like to see them addressed though.

Well said. It is entirely possible to like the iPad and still wish it had a few more features. I'm pretty sure Apple knows this as well. That's why we keep getting a new generation of every device once per 12 months!

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well said. It is entirely possible to like the iPad and still wish it had a few more features. I'm pretty sure Apple knows this as well. That's why we keep getting a new generation of every device once per 12 months!

We can all respect differences in opinion. The problem is, virtually all of these so-called shortcomings regarding the iPad are really, really old news. The walled garden, tightly controlled nature of the iOS devices is what sets them apart. Some people have complained about this aspect of Apple devices from day one, and Apple has not been shy at all about defending their approach and insisting that they will not change these characteristics in their devices. So when someone buys an iPhone or iPad and rants about lack of Flash or the inability to theme or change the UI, it is quite annoying. If these things were so important to that user, he or she just should not have purchased an Apple device.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

We can all respect differences in opinion. The problem is, virtually all of these so-called shortcomings regarding the iPad are really, really old news. The walled garden, tightly controlled nature of the iOS devices is what sets them apart. Some people have complained about this aspect of Apple devices from day one, and Apple has not been shy at all about defending their approach and insisting that they will not change these characteristics in their devices. So when someone buys an iPhone or iPad and rants about lack of Flash or the inability to theme or change the UI, it is quite annoying. If these things were so important to that user, he or she just should not have purchased an Apple device.

And when they had the only tablet on the market, that philosophy was ok. Now that there is amazing competition coming, I want them to remain competitive. Even if I do switch to an android tablet, its in my best interest for the ipad to be as competitive as possible to drive innovation.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
And when they had the only tablet on the market, that philosophy was ok. Now that there is amazing competition coming, I want them to remain competitive. Even if I do switch to an android tablet, its in my best interest for the ipad to be as competitive as possible to drive innovation.

I don't think you need to worry about the iPad staying competitive, bro. There may come a time when more Android tablets are sold than iPads, but that'll be like 50 Android models versus one iPad - just like it is with the iPhone versus Android phones now.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last time I checked, variety and options are a GOOD thing.

If you want an iPhone, you've really got two options, the current iPhone 4 or the old 3Gs.

With Android you have OPTIONS. Want a slide-out keyboard? You can have that! Want a 3" screen? Yup! 3.5"? Yup! 4" and bigger? We've got that too! Want a front facing camera? Sure! Don't want one! We've got that covered too! Want a HDMI out? Yup, you can get that! Want expandable memory? Yup! Want physical buttons? Sure! No buttons, just on-screen buttons? Got those too! Want 3G? Ok! 4G? Yeah, we've got plenty of both! Want a free phone with your contract? Here ya go! Willing to spend $400? Got you covered there too!

You keep bragging that Apple only has the one iPhone like it's a good thing. It's not! Variety and choice is what is so great about our world, and the iPhone/iPad gives you no variety and no choice.

It's very nice to be able to choose the phone/tablet that suits me best, instead of letting a single device dictate what I can do. Imagine if there was only one car available. Or one t-shirt and pair of jeans. One building plan for a home. That would suck!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I personally would like to see the UI freshened up a little - not wholesale changes but just something to make it look a little newer.
I would love to see a shared file repository in IOS though, so for example of you had one application for annotating PDF files and another you preferred for reading PDFs. you could store one version of the PDF file and both applications could access the same file. The core OS and Apps would still remain closed off so there would be no security threat.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:

I don't think you need to worry about the iPad staying competitive, bro. There may come a time when more Android tablets are sold than iPads, but that'll be like 50 Android models versus one iPad - just like it is with the iPhone versus Android phones now.

Well bro, I don't consider it competitive when the iPad fails to do certain things that the competition can. Its not competitive when the ipad can't:

Play HD video in the format of my choice
Output said HD video using HDMI
Accept USB input (thumbdrives/keyboards/mice)
Accept flash media
Have widgets
Allow the user to customize their device to their liking
+a million other things

I dont care if there are 100 android tablets and only 1 ipad, I would like to see Apple innovate their frankly boring and extremely dated mobile OS. Its garbage to be honest. Relying on separate apps to accomplish everything is not acceptable. No matter what tablet I choose to buy, I want Apple to remain competitive in its tablet OS, because competition breeds innovation. If they offer the iPad 2 and it offers only a front facing cam, more ram, more hd space, etc, and still has 11 pages of shortcuts as its OS with zero of the functionality that Android has been offering for over a year, then its a failure in my eyes.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Thphilli said:
Well bro, I don't consider it competitive when the iPad fails to do certain things that the competition can. Its not competitive when the ipad can't:

Play HD video in the format of my choice
Output said HD video using HDMI
Accept USB input (thumbdrives/keyboards/mice)
Accept flash media
Have widgets
Allow the user to customize their device to their liking
+a million other things

I dont care if there are 100 android tablets and only 1 ipad, I would like to see Apple innovate their frankly boring and extremely dated mobile OS. Its garbage to be honest. Relying on separate apps to accomplish everything is not acceptable. No matter what tablet I choose to buy, I want Apple to remain competitive in its tablet OS, because competition breeds innovation. If they offer the iPad 2 and it offers only a front facing cam, more ram, more hd space, etc, and still has 11 pages of shortcuts as its OS with zero of the functionality that Android has been offering for over a year, then its a failure in my eyes.

Quit moaning about god damned flash!!!! Seriously! You KNEW going in the ipad didn't support flash and now all you do is whine about it. Ffs!!!

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Well, when Apple ceases selling the iPad and people constantly pronounce it a failure, then it will truly be a failure. The closest Android to compete now is the Xoom and it hasn't been released and part of it's presentation was recorded video. When competition hits and everyone tells Apple they are no longer happy with their wallets, things will change. In the meantime, I'm sure Apple isn't exactly settling back developing nothing.

For awhile you got better about posting some positive within but your quickly going back to your old habits of only posting negative. I honestly can't understand this.

By the way, I was referencing Thphilli with this comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts