What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here using the Apple TV out cables?

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the official Apple composite cables from my link above and was quite surprised that it was basically a new set complete with the AC wall charger in a slightly damaged box. Everything was in original Apple protective film and zip ties. So thumbs up to the seller.

So obviously they work but I am regretting not getting component instead. I thought composite (Yellow, Red, White) would be a lot more convenient since those connections are usually found on the front or sides of most TVs (hotels, projectors, etc.). However, I forgot how low quality composite looks on modern HDTVs. Granted I tried it out on a 67" 1080p TV so my experience may be skewed. It's probably OK on a 32" or smaller TV but on anything bigger it's like blurry VHS.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The biggest TV I usually get is when I stay at a Marriott they usually have 42" plasma...I got the composite for the same reason you did - more TVs have them. And I don't need to use them at home on my big TV because that's what I have Bluray, DVD, etc for.

But what I might do is get a set of both, depending on how well the generic ones work from this seller that I bought from on eBay.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news! I got the cables today and they work great, not only for video but for iPod as well. Didn't work for games or anything else that I have installed...so not sure if it works for Netflix or not.

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news! I got the cables today and they work great, not only for video but for iPod as well. Didn't work for games or anything else that I have installed...so not sure if it works for Netflix or not.

You should definitely install TVOut2 for your games. It's not the greatest quality but I was playing Angry Birds before and it was fun as hell. I can see it being great when stuck in a hotel.

I am also considering picking up the component cables too, but I'll use these for a while and see how it goes. I just know with 720p video recording on iPhone 4 I'm probably going to want to share in better quality. We'll see.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay mine arrived and it worked! Thanks Matthew for the link!

I also tested with tvout2. It works with some games, others not so much, but I didn't even try any settings. I'm sure it can be tweaked but eventually some games won't work.

I have no use for components cables (at the moment), since my plan is to hook the ipad to my car's rear seat entertainment, which is composite. But I did the testing on my Sony 1080p, using composite input. Pictures taken with the iPhone, so take any quality judgments with care, I just mean those as proof of concept.

Here's some pics:

0_0_371a60d5534a1cfacdcf76874b2b596b_1

0_0_d6c7bb613c3f299214646446242e1f48_1

0_0_773bddaa3d7af766293d9af85c83e1a1_1

0_0_7f0f313d857ceabe9fc4c5bb8c336d56_1

Hope these help!

Cheers,

RH.

Most reactions