What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have a credit card compromised through iStore?

Creeky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok,so while we are on the subject of hacking wifi networks and you guys seem to know what your talking about. Can you tell me what is regarded as the most secure protocol for protecting a wifi network.

I have these options on my Router;
WEP
WPA-PSK
WPA-802.1x

Thanks in advance.

Creeky

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those protocols will slow down a hacker but none will stop the most serious hackers. I won't share my secrets in a public forum but I will say that you need multiple levels of firewall protection to stop breeches. I use a combination of soft and hard firewalls on both sides of my wireless router. Even the pinholes can be compromised.

If you live in a metro area and have a wifi, the best defense is to not have anything sensitive on the wifi network. Use the wifi as a simple access point for browsing. If you do any transaction do them inside the secure network...be it a physical desktop or behind multiple layers of firewall protection.

Keep in mind that the chances of being attacked are usually smaller than one thinks. Like I said earlier...it is more likely that my card was compromised at the gas pump. All that data floats across a secure network too. Everywhere you swipe that debit card you are putting yourself at risk. We can't live under a rock and still enjoy life. Use a debit card that is secured by the bank and let them do their job. If the card is used for fraud the bank will reimburse you if you follow their protocol. To me that is the most important thing to remember. It relieves a lot of stress in life. Bank of America has a zero liability card that requires your photo. Costs nothing. Way more protection than you'll ever get on your wifi...unless you hire a security expert to set the firewalls appropriately..which could cost thousands of dollars. I'm lucky because I have access to legacy equipment that is only a few months old so I am constantly switching things up and it is new enough to foil most of my neighbors...lol...

Nate

Creeky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Nate. I live on the outskirts of a small town so I guess that the chances of being hacked maybe smaller. But I will use your advice anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Creeky

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched and searched and find nothing that indicates the iStore is not secure. I'm betting the card was skimmed at the gas pump...the second to last purchase we used the card for. I'll report that station to the bank and see if they pick up on a pattern.

Thanks guys.

Nate

I've read numerous stories of credit card skimmers using gas pumps to gather numbers. They're not as secure or monitored as ATMs, so the crooks like that.

As for credit cards and iTunes...I only use a virtual credit card there (ShopSafe from Bank of America) with a limit of $10. When that's used up I put another $10 on the card. If the account gets compromised the best they can get is $10 or less.

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll look into the shop safe card. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip.

Nate

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can refer you to thousands of articles, but how about some movies ?

Yes, but WEP has been shown to be unsafe for quite some time now. The only reason WEP is included with new routers is for legacy purposes. If people are still using WEP for security it is out of ignorance. I do believe WPA2/AES is still safe and has yet to be cracked. It probably will be cracked some day, but that is why all wireless security protocols have expiration dates.

Most reactions

Latest posts