What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else HUGELY disgusted by the flat look?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I much prefer the flat look, because I've always leaned toward modern design -- clean lines and images. I don't need an ebook to mimic a print book or digital notes to mimic a paper notepad, for instance. And I've always found the Newsstand and iBooks bookcases amazingly cheesy. But I won't judge the new iOS until I get my hands on it. To me, great design is always a plus, but not at the expense of usability. And I judge usability hands-on, not by reading or hearing about it.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I much prefer the flat look, because I've always leaned toward modern design -- clean lines and images. I don't need an ebook to mimic a print book or digital notes to mimic a paper notepad, for instance. And I've always found the Newsstand and iBooks bookcases amazingly cheesy. But I won't judge the new iOS until I get my hands on it. To me, great design is always a plus, but not at the expense of usability. And I judge usability hands-on, not by reading or hearing about it.

Yeah If I renew my dev license I might get it, I feel it's something I can get used to. But I don't think I will put it on my iPad regardless, it's just too pretty :3

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I personally don't see mimic-ing books or notepads to be old fashioned, since I use these things everyday. Not saying I don't mind some change, but I think iOS is already attractive. I don't think Android looks any better and I find the so-called "flat look" to be washed out and lacking in depth. Win8 is, IMO, not an interface that I want to look at all the time.

Just to be clear, though, I don't much care either way...just saying is all. :)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah If I renew my dev license I might get it, I feel it's something I can get used to. But I don't think I will put it on my iPad regardless, it's just too pretty :3

It goes on all my devices the minute it hits the streets. For me, these mobile devices are all about having the most up-to-date, feature-packed OS. That's what makes them useful. Without the OS, the devices are basically useless.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It goes on all my devices the minute it hits the streets. For me, these mobile devices are all about having the most up-to-date, feature-packed OS. That's why makes them useful. Without the OS, the devices are basically useless.

I'm still using my iPad 2 on iOS 5.1.1, lol. I take it on trips because it still uses the old Google maps. I have an iPad 4 and I don't like Apple maps or the current Google map app, so I usually leave that at home on trips. I've got a few apps that won't update without iOS 6, but I'm still using them just fine so far.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like everything bar the new colour scheme.

Well, I'm not so much into pastels, but once the beta testing is done which might change the color scheme, will not the OS offer some different screen theme offerings? Don't know on an iOS platform but would hope that a limited choice might be offered? :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It goes on all my devices the minute it hits the streets. For me, these mobile devices are all about having the most up-to-date, feature-packed OS. That's why makes them useful. Without the OS, the devices are basically useless.

Same here, though I'm not sure how long it will take me to upgrade 5 iDevices on release day.

D

Deleted member 247820

If the "flat" UI makes iOS7 more productive then that's a plus.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As someone already said this overhaul was long overdue. I like it even though the icons look like a little bit "girlish" (no offense intended).

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like everything bar the new colour scheme.

Yeah, that's starting to bug me a bit too. It's boring. Contrast is what jumps out at you when viewing colors. If they are all lighter colors on lighter colors....it's too light. Well see. Just hope this goes well.

Reaction score
I used it on a friend's phone today (beta version) and it seems faster than iOS6, and the look wasn't really all that different once you add a custom wallpaper. Everything works as it should, and Safari looks like it won't ****me off, so I'm in.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookEcutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Features? KILLER! (In a good way)

Icons and color scheme? KILLER! (In a bad way)

I am of the thought the colors, graphics, overall look is childish and a bit confusing. On my MacBook Pro I love the blues, grays and textures of iTunes and the App Store icons. Personally I think these colors better match the simplicity apple seems to strive for. I think it also matches the aluminum, black and white of the hardware. The iPods have multiple colors but even those are a nice soft brushed aluminum look and not the harsh pastels of iOS 7. The features outweigh the colors and mismatched icons but the look distracts from those features. The next three months will be interesting.

Most reactions

Latest posts