What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody using an Igo Charger?

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an Igo home and auto charger years ago and I love it. Basically a universal charger because you can buy tips to fit almost anything. I even have a cable that splits into two cables so you can charge two devices at once. I charge my cell phones, my kindles, and my DS with it. Just wondering if anybody has tried it and if so, how well does it work?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For it to work as well as the Apple included charger it would have to have an output of 2a (or 2000ma in case it is written like that). If the max output is 1a, and if you have it split in two, most likey it would be 500ma x2. Even if you only plug one in and each port has a max of 1000ma when the other port isn't being used, that's only HALF as effective as the iPad charger.

The problem is the iGo website doesn't list the output in amps, and you can't convert Watts to Amps unless you know more information which they don't provide.

So if you can look on the charger or tell us how many amps it outputs, I could give you a better answer.

Bottom line: if it outputs 2A, you are good to go...however, if you split the output with another device, then you are NOT good to go. Or at the very least it would charge a hell of a lot slower than the iPad included charger. And if the second device is something that requires a lot of power (for example, the Moto Droid comes with an 850ma charger), it could possibly not even work.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it's 75% of the strength of the oem iPad charger. So if you split it with something else it will be less than half the strength of the oem charger. You could try it but I doubt it would be useful when split unless you were on a REALLY long trip.

OP
S

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rarely use both tips on the splitter. I'll post the results once I get my Ipad if no one else does in the meantime.

Big Daddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use the iPad USB power block with an Igo USB charging cable (6ft for $10), you can interchange the tips to charge your devices and the iPad. I used the following tips successfully. A61 for iPad and iTouch charging. A97 for blackberry storm. A88 for DS. A51 for PSP (2000).

muttley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
which usb tip

Hi Big Daddy

I'm new to this forum cos I just got my hands on my ipad yesterday! Will be travelling next week and saw your post on using the ipad block charger instead of the igo charger to charge ipad and other items in the A series, what a great idea! You're using A61 for the iPad - do you know if this is the same as the A133? I have the latter but iGo no longer sells the A61 so I can't really compare......thanks!

ownermental

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Big Daddy

I'm new to this forum cos I just got my hands on my ipad yesterday! Will be travelling next week and saw your post on using the ipad block charger instead of the igo charger to charge ipad and other items in the A series, what a great idea! You're using A61 for the iPad - do you know if this is the same as the A133? I have the latter but iGo no longer sells the A61 so I can't really compare......thanks!

you can use the A133 to charge the ipad, but it will take longer and you have to have the screen off. when you plug it in it will say that it's not charging, but if you put the ipad to sleep & let it sit for a while it'll go ahead and charge.

riggor9999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad2 igo tip

I called igo tech support - and they were very clear that no igo tips will charge the ipad / ipad2. Not the A133 or the A61.

I found on a a forum somewhere (can't remember where) that the A133 tip does not work with the ipad / ipad2 - but the A61 will charge the ipad / ipad2 - yes - slower than the charger that comes with the ipad - but it will still charge.

I tested with my ipad2 and - yes - my A133 tip does not charge at all, but the A61 tip does indeed charge.

mahtavajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plugged the Apple USB cable from the OEM Apple charger into the USB port on the iGo charger, and then directly into the iPad. Despite the fact the iPad charging indicator claimed it wasn't charged, it charged completely overnight.

Fredbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am new to the forum and was wondering if I could over charge the Ipad2. I purchased a dock but it had no instructions on if I just left it on the dock it could overcharge and damage the battery. Comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

Most reactions

Latest posts