What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any USB hubs that will charge iPad?

Traveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any USB hubs that have a "High Power" USB port? I'd like to use a single cable for both charging and syncing, but my computer doesn't have a high powered USB plug. I'm willing to buy a hub, but I need a specific recommendation. I'll go to Fry's later today to see what I can find.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any USB hubs that have a "High Power" USB port? I'd like to use a single cable for both charging and syncing, but my computer doesn't have a high powered USB plug. I'm willing to buy a hub, but I need a specific recommendation. I'll go to Fry's later today to see what I can find.

I need one as well so I'm open to suggestions as well.

Reaction score
Website
www.kevinpurcell.org
Since this issue was not known at ship date I am guessing it will take a little while before manufacturers start making the special accessory for this.

I have Power USB Hubs and they do not work either. The charging device that comes with the iPad is probably proprietary and so it will have be reverse engineered first.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Griffin already has a wall ($30) and car charger ($24) for the iPad listed. They have a package deal coming. I suspect that hubs will be forthcoming, although I did see one or two on the net that indicated that they were good for 2 amps.

Last edited:

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This USB hub has to high power ports. The specs say they have twice the power of normal USB ports. Since standard USB provides up to 500mA, I assume the two high power ports are 1000mA.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I3XIE4/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: Targus 7-Port USB 2.0 Desktop Hub with Audio Pass-Through ACH81US (Silver): Electronics[/ame]

OP
T

Traveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered this, shipped via ground. I hope to have it early next week, at which point I'll post if it works to both charge and sync my iPad to my PC.

This USB hub has to high power ports. The specs say they have twice the power of normal USB ports. Since standard USB provides up to 500mA, I assume the two high power ports are 1000mA.

Amazon.com: Targus 7-Port USB 2.0 Desktop Hub with Audio Pass-Through ACH81US (Silver): Electronics

Sweet, please let us know. If it works, I'll pick one up too :)

OP
T

Traveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No joy. Got the hub, plugged it all in, plugged my iPad into one of the two "High Powered" USB ports, but still get the "Not Charging" message.

I'm guessing it's only a matter of weeks until we see iPad compatible USB hubs, and probably marketed as such.

Oche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've enjoyed a similar experience as described in the link. It seems to charge just fine, especially when the screen is off, despite the 'not charging' warning.

Gary

DanMayhew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of my colleagues asked about this at an Apple store and the "genius" on duty showed him a 16 port USB hub that they use to charge iPods, iPhones and iPads. He said it looked like the same technology that had just been released in a device from Datamation Systems. I saw a press release about it recently. I think it is called the PowerPad 16.

JohnDyers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of my colleagues asked about this at an Apple store and the "genius" on duty showed him a 16 port USB hub that they use to charge iPods, iPhones and iPads. He said it looked like the same technology that had just been released in a device from Datamation Systems. I saw a press release about it recently. I think it is called the PowerPad 16.

Just found it searching Datamation Systems PowerPad 16. They have lots of interesting professional-grade tools.

Most reactions

Latest posts