What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any easy way to really close an app in 4.2.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using 4.2.1 for a while I wind up with a bunch of apps in the multi-tasking bar that I don't need. It makes it harder to find what I want.

Is there any way to close an app without having it go to the bottom bar? Any easy way to close all apps in the bottom bar?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was my initial "complaint" about this so-called multi-tasking when I installed the 4.2 beta 2 months ago, but I pretty quickly got into the habit of going to the multi-tasking bar and shutting things off. Yes, its a bit of a PITA but now I don't even think about it.

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury and I just discussed this exact topic in another thread. You should find an answer here.

Mods, if I am out of line with the cross link to another thread, I will remove.

Thanks,
MSax

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know there is technically no reason to close out the "open" apps, its just one of those mildly OCD things I have about keeping it uncluttered!

OP
B

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason to have multitasking is to allow quick switching between programs (apps). You can't switch quickly if you have to scroll through 20 or 30 apps on the bar to find what you want.

How about a feature that allows the user to shut the app (and not send it to the bottom bar) by holding down the close button for 2 seconds?

And, a button on the multitask bar to close all apps on the bar?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a (admittedly pretty new) iOS dev, I understand very well why you don't need to close apps, and yeah...I do it anyway. :confused:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seems to me after all the anxiousness everyone has for the final 4.2, here comes the complaints :D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is no reason to do that.

Speak for yourself.

There is plenty reason. They SHOULD include a "KillAll" button that closes them all.

Again, Apps don't run in the background they all close when you leave them...they write a state file to resume usage next time you launch it....man apple really screwed up calling it multitasking.

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is no reason to do that.

Speak for yourself.

There is plenty reason. They SHOULD include a "KillAll" button that closes them all.

Again, Apps don't run in the background they all close when you leave them...they write a state file to resume usage next time you launch it....man apple really screwed up calling it multitasking.

You know I can now play pandora while browsing the Internet now that I have 4.2.1 installed. As a matter of fact I am listening right now as i type this response.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been through this apps running in the background pro and con thing with another device. I'm in the camp that says don't worry about it. The OS is smart enough to know when to shut the apps down, and anyway it's not like they are actually fully up and running. It's like a piece of them, a shadow so to speak that's running in the background.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speak for yourself.

You know I can now play pandora while browsing the Internet now that I have 4.2.1 installed. As a matter of fact I am listening right now as i type this response.

yes because music is the ONLY service allowed to remain in the background...and only one music app is allowed at a time. While listening to Pandora go ahead and try to watch a movie and see if pandora continues to play, or listen to iPod or any other music app.

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double click home button
When multitask ribbon appears hold icon of app you want to close
Hit the x (same as if you were deleting the app on the home screen)
The app is closed

Demo here: ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/13366-find-my-iphone-ipod-touch-ipad-goes-free.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions