What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another charging problem. iPad Air 2

Tonyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad Air 2 will not charge. Tried using other iPad chargers and cables. Now here is the kicker if I connect it to iTunes and do a DFU reset the iPad resets itself and ends up charged. This is the only way the iPad will charge. Any ideas out there or do I have a brick.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like there may be something wrong with the charging circuit or the charging program. Is your iPad still under warranty? Have you tried connecting to a different power outlet or USB port?
Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free and if the problem can be repaired with a software fix, the repair is often free.

OP
Tonyl

Tonyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like there may be something wrong with the charging circuit or the charging program. Is your iPad still under warranty? Have you tried connecting to a different power outlet or USB port?
Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free and if the problem can be repaired with a software fix, the repair is often free.

Unfortunately the iPad is out of warranty. I tried every sort of sub port from Windows USB ports to Mac USB ports with no luck. What is a Genius Bar appointment, is this something different from a normal appointment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately the iPad is out of warranty. I tried every sort of sub port from Windows USB ports to Mac USB ports with no luck. What is a Genius Bar appointment, is this something different from a normal appointment?

Hi Tonyl - the Genius Bar is simply the tech support area in an Apple store (the closest one to me is 40 minutes away in Greensboro, NC - shown below) - best to make an appointment to avoid a potential long wait - an evaluation and repair estimate, if needed, is free - and 'out of warranty' products will be evaluated, although others will have to 'chime in' about the specifics - good luck! Dave
Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 4.35.10 PM.png

OP
Tonyl

Tonyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the Genius Bar will be my next stop. in the meantime I purchased the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro and am loving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Tonyl - the Genius Bar is simply the tech support area in an Apple store (the closest one to me is 40 minutes away in Greensboro, NC - shown below) - best to make an appointment to avoid a potential long wait -
View attachment 73140
I made an appointment because I dropped my iPad and broke my screen. (I have AppleCare, so it was fixed for the $75.) I sat there for an hour and 15 minutes after my appointment before I finally got service. I had 3 "Geniuses" say that the appointment is only a starting point and not an actual scheduled time. At least that's how they do it in Southlake TX.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I made an appointment because I dropped my iPad and broke my screen. (I have AppleCare, so it was fixed for the $75.) I sat there for an hour and 15 minutes after my appointment before I finally got service. I had 3 "Geniuses" say that the appointment is only a starting point and not an actual scheduled time. At least that's how they do it in Southlake TX.

Well, I've never had to use the 'Genius Bar' at my local Apple Store, but the service is always busy when I visit; thus, there is a need for 'scheduling' customers whether those w/ appointments or 'walk-ins' - I would suspect that w/ an appointment, one would be accommodated more quickly.

Take a look at the links for more information - below is a quote from the first link, which was an interview w/ a former genius bar employee - LINK 1 - LINK 2 - LINK 3 - Dave :)

2. Make an appointment

If it’s at all possible to make an appointment in advance, you should. By not having to sit, wait, and watch others get helped ahead of you, it helps to alleviate a major frustration of getting tech support—all the time it can take. As you might expect from Apple, there’s an art and science around how the company schedules its Genius appointments.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what got me last time. My appointment was for 5pm on a Friday and I wasn't helped until 6:15 because of the massive amounts of walkins gumming up the works.
There are a limited amount of appointment times kept open for Genius Bar walk-ins. Sometimes a walk-in or a scheduled appointment will take much longer than expected, leading to delays such as yours.
There's one trick to getting an immediate Genius Bar session with no waiting at all. Here's what I did while visiting an Apple Store while on a trip last summer. In any Apple Store there's an employee tasked with managing Genius Bar walk-ins and appointments. If you don't have a scheduled appointment and want immediate service, show up at the Apple Store just before it opens in the morning and be the first person through the door. Go directly to the person handling Genius Bar appointments and ask to see someone at the Genius Bar(this person was pointed out to me when I was at the store the day before). As you're the first person in the store, you'll get an immediate session without needing an advance appointment

Most reactions