What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoying side arrow

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad just started showing a right side arrow that sometimes opens a vertical home page on one side of the screen. How can I make this stop?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This arrow? (see screenshot)

This indicates you have an app in slideover view. I thin vertical window that overlays the main screen. It is handy for apps you want to quickly look at, but not keep in view all the time. It also works in any app, so it can be persistent while you do a variety of things.

The arrow should only show for a few seconds after the view has been hidden.

Swipe from the right edge of the screen to show it. Swipe back to the right to hide it.

Like other multitasking features, you can not disable it. However, you can remove all apps from the slideover view. It will remain inactive until you place another app in slide over.

1. Swipe from the right edge of the screen to reveal the slideover view.

2. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen (under the slideover). This will show all the active slideover views. It is similar to the view you get when swiping up from the bottom of the main screen.

3. Swipe up on each view until they are all gone.

It's a good idea to get familiar with the various multitask modes and screens. Even if you do not normally use them, you will easily identify and be able to dismiss them when accidentally used.

I just got a new Windows 11 laptop, and am experiencing similar issues, especially with Edge. I can't get rid of stuff I don't want, and it does things I don't like. Little by little I'm learning. Even if I can't make it work entirely the way I want, at least I'm getting an handle on avoiding results that irritate me the most.

Funny side note. I used the Edge browser (which uses Microsoft Bing as the search engine) to look up Google Chrome. I like to use it for the Google apps, and little else. The very first result on the page was an ad for Microsoft Edge. It told me it was the only browser I'd ever need.
34CA3251-1C1A-44AA-887D-29DD41EED598.png

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This indicates you have an app in slideover view. I thin vertical window that overlays the main screen. It is handy for apps you want to quickly look at, but not keep in view all the time. It also works in any app, so it can be persistent while you do a variety of things.

Swipe from the right edge of the screen to show it. Swipe back to the right to hide it.

Like other multitasking features, you can not disable it. However, you can remove all apps from the slideover view. It will remain inactive until you place another app in slide over.

2. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen (under the slideover). This will show all the active slideover views. It is similar to the view you get when swiping up from the bottom of the main screen.

It's a good idea to get familiar with the various multitask modes and screens. Even if you do not normally use them, you will easily identify and be able to dismiss them when accidentally used.

I just got a new Windows 11 laptop, and am experiencing similar issues, especially with Edge. I can't get rid of stuff I don't want, and it does things I don't like. Little by little I'm learning. Even if I can't make it work entirely the way I want, at least I'm getting an handle on avoiding results that irritate me the most.

Funny side note. I used the Edge browser (which uses Microsoft Bing as the search engine) to look up Google Chrome. I like to use it for the Google apps, and little else. The very first result on the page was an ad for Microsoft Edge. It told me it was the only browser I'd ever need.View attachment 96070

Funny side note. I used the Edge browser (which uses Microsoft Bing as the search engine) to look up Google Chrome. I like to use it for the Google apps, and little else. The very first result on the page was an ad for Microsoft Edge. It told me it was the only browser I'd ever need.View attachment 96070

Thank you.

Most reactions