What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An interesting read...are the competitors doing it wrong?

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess that is one way to look at it. But that would be like saying all the car manufacturers are following ford, since Henry Ford started the whole idea of making cars on an assembly line.

The article says that other companies try to copy what Apple makes. I disagree. It says that Apple knows the consumer better. I disagree. I think other manufacturers watch what Apple builds and then try to build a product that does the things that the consumer misses in an Apple product. A lot of people like Apple products just the way they are. But there is a huge market of consumers who can't stand Apple products because they are locked down. So why not capitalize on those who would never buy an Apple product?

And that would be another way to look at it.

Nate

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a very good analysis, or more precisely what he is talking about is the low end market like cheap knock off products.

The bigger competitors aren't as worried about what Apple is planning. Google has an excellent design team and Android is not copying the iOS look and feel because they believe their are users looking for something different.

It would appear they are right when you consider the Android market share has nearly equaled the iPhone market in just a couple of years. Most analysts agree that Android will pull ahead in 2011 and be the number one OS (beating out the current leader RIM Blackberry) in the next few years.

Apple will maintain its current number 2 spot, which they will be content with. Apple prefers to make premium product sold to a very specific kind of user. Take the Mac as an example, it is used by people who don't want Windows.

I think that article completely missed the boat as far as what is really happening.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a very good analysis, or more precisely what he is talking about is the low end market like cheap knock off products.

The bigger competitors aren't as worried about what Apple is planning. Google has an excellent design team and Android is not copying the iOS look and feel because they believe their are users looking for something different.

It would appear they are right when you consider the Android market share has nearly equaled the iPhone market in just a couple of years. Most analysts agree that Android will pull ahead in 2011 and be the number one OS (beating out the current leader RIM Blackberry) in the next few years.

Apple will maintain its current number 2 spot, which they will be content with. Apple prefers to make premium product sold to a very specific kind of user. Take the Mac as an example, it is used by people who don't want Windows.

I think that article completely missed the boat as far as what is really happening.

Didn't android pull ahead in November 2010? That is what I read at least.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But there is a huge market of consumers who can't stand Apple products because they are locked down. So why not capitalize on those who would never buy an Apple product?

I think he's right that some smaller companies are simply trying to create knockoffs, but I think the tablet explosion is more due to the fact that the iPad has shown two things: One, there's a market and Two, the iPad is vulnerable in that market due to dissatisfaction with the device in key areas (Flash, productivity, iTunes, app scheme).

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He's right above one thing and thats people often get emotional attachments to inanimate objects and gadgets. Look at car personalisations. Get function and design right and you create enthusiasts.

Yes the iPad is vulnerable due to dissatisfactions but many of those are created by inflated expectations and frankly conditioning by previous experiences in computing. It ain't a laptop replacement with a full featured os. It may come but theres a way to go yet.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes the iPad is vulnerable due to dissatisfactions but many of those are created by inflated expectations and frankly conditioning by previous experiences in computing. It ain't a laptop replacement with a full featured os. It may come but theres a way to go yet.

This attitude is puzzling to me, and unique to Apple enthusiasts. In the pc world, people want more, more, more and producers struggle to supply it. With Apple, both the company and its enthusiasts, the attitude is that if you want more, you should lower your expectations or, failing that, eh, buy something else.

To borrow your car analogy, Apple seems like an Italian car company - you admire the decent performance and beautiful design, but you eventually tire of the attitude that your desire for reliability is a personal shortcoming, rather than a failing on the part of the manufacturer.

The chief criticism of the iPad from non-owners is that its an oversized iPhone that can't make calls, and there's some validity to that. It's got the size and expense of a netbook without the performance/productivity, and netbooks were compromised in those areas already. If the tablet market trends towards pc-style performance rather than fancy media player, Apple can expect to drop to their typical pc-like market share levels of 7-10%. That would be unfortunate after such a strong start.

Byron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think part of the article is correct. Google, for instance, follows Apple around like a lost puppy dog, although they never seem to get it correct often. Of course they wil sell more phones, there are many more different types/makers of the phones, which sell and are used by most cell companies around the world. The first google phone bombed, the first google TV bombed and looks like the second one will too. Eventually they get the produce right by throwing enough money at it, and cash they do have. But is that the sort of company you would want to use and support?

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think part of the article is correct. Google, for instance, follows Apple around like a lost puppy dog, although they never seem to get it correct often. Of course they wil sell more phones, there are many more different types/makers of the phones, which sell and are used by most cell companies around the world. The first google phone bombed, the first google TV bombed and looks like the second one will too. Eventually they get the produce right by throwing enough money at it, and cash they do have. But is that the sort of company you would want to use and support?

Um what? Apple tv the first bombed, second less of a bomb, it's funny cause no matter what apple releases it's NEVER considered a bomb, even if it is. Mind y'all apple does have the uperhand in MOBILE computing, but it only holds 10 percent of computers worldwide! PC is around 60 I believe, so no no one is worried. Apple makes great products but they are def not prefect not even close! But people will say it! The article most def is an apple fanboy and not looking at the whole picture! Thinly thing the post is right on is apple makes there products very easy to use. And that's why simpletons are satisfied!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Please explain how Google follows Apple around like a lost puppy dog.

You mean by releasing better and more functional products after Apple has already released a similar but less functional product.

If that's the case, than I guess you could say Ferrari follows around Ford like a lost puppy dog because they both make cars, but Ford was on the market first. LOL.

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer the Android OS over iOS for its functionality and customization, but during the past year of owning my Android phone, I wished it was an iPhone only because of the apps. In general, most companies release a "mobile app" on the iPhone while ignoring Android. For example, I waited months and months for a Chase Mobile app, while there was one already available on iPhone.

Also I think that part of the reason that Android is taking over the iPhone is due to availability. The iPhone was AT&T only, while Android was on Verizon, Sprint, AT&T... not to mention there are so many different makes and models using the OS. Many people simply hate AT&T's coverage, so they go to Verizon and get and Android because they simply want a similar smartphone experience. I know that's what I did.

But with the iPhone coming to Verizon now, I think a lot of people will be switching either from AT&T to Verizon, or from Android to iPhone.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is a huge market of consumers who can't stand Apple products because they are locked down.

I really dont think this market is as large as you think it is. It may be the most vocal, but not big enough for Apple to cater to completely - or else things would not be as locked down.

I didn't say Apple should cater to it. I said "Why shouldn't the other companies capitalize off of it? And you're wrong about the size. Just remember...I am always right. It's easier to just agree with me.

Nate ;o)

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is a huge market of consumers who can't stand Apple products because they are locked down. So why not capitalize on those who would never buy an Apple product?

And that would be another way to look at it.

Nate

exactly. That is why I no longer own any iPods and why my iPad will be replaced by android or playbook.

Most reactions

Latest posts