What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"An error occured while backing up (-50) on attempted ios5 upgrade. Help!

Lonet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To Mickey88

I've been trying for 3 days to update my ipad 1 i get the same error message, cannot back up continue or lose everything, i've been so frustrated i've been tempted to click continue and lose everything just to get it sorted, as half my apps have updates that i cannot download as i dont have the new IOS5, so annoying, i've tried everything thats been advised here and nothing is working :(

What is the OS on tour computer? If it's OSX you need to update it and you have to do the search for it manually. It happened to me. Only after the update I succeeded updating to IOS5.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been trying for 3 days to update my ipad 1 i get the same error message, cannot back up continue or lose everything, i've been so frustrated i've been tempted to click continue and lose everything just to get it sorted, as half my apps have updates that i cannot download as i dont have the new IOS5, so annoying, i've tried everything thats been advised here and nothing is working :(

It does wipe your Ipad but the backup as part of the upgrade saves those and restores or you reinstall (and the content is still intact)--at least for me. I'm trying to remember if what you wrote is what I encountered. A friend had warned me how different this upgrade was so I expected some strange messaging. i have 2 more devices to upgrade but may notl I use my Touch primarily for music and "radio" to transmit through stereo systems and car, my husband won't use mist of the changes so I may wait a bit to upgrade his.

Speaking of updates--I lost Blogshelf. I've been in contact with the developer and he removed it from the app store temporarily because it didn't meet Icloud but did IOS 5. it was one of the 22 apps that wouldn't sync. He suggested I retry syncing it because he upgraded and his Blogshelf restored. Seems everything doesn't work the same for everyone. I'll try reinstalling when he puts it back but he expected a month wait.

Diane

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm afraid I did lose patience after going round in circles. Error -54. I restored iPad 1 to factory settings in the end and at least I e got my paddy back without data but hey ho. I hope you find out how to fix this. Have you read richsadams thread on how to achieve success with this update?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

mickey88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've had the same prob for 3 days so I went to apples website and looked under support, they are advising you before downloading the new update to reformat your iPad after running a back up, then when the software reinstalls it automatically installs 5 it worked for me :)

mickey88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the OS on tour computer? If it's OSX you need to update it and you have to do the search for it manually. It happened to me. Only after the update I succeeded updating to IOS5.

I run windows 7 but after taking apples advice via their website under support, before installing 5 back up and reformat your iPad, I did and it worked I lost nothing and got the new os :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've had the same prob for 3 days so I went to apples website and looked under support, they are advising you before downloading the new update to reformat your iPad after running a back up, then when the software reinstalls it automatically installs 5 it worked for me :)
Thanks for that. Can you post a link to the Apple Support page? TIA!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's fine, but I was hoping for the location where Apple is actually recommending users "reformat" their iPad's. Per Apple's instructions, as part of the upgrade process iTunes automatically creates a backup, erases and restores the iDevice. I had not seen where Apple was recommending folk's do anything differently.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe someone posted the link in this thread since I found at least one link to an Apple recommendation. I haven't looked through all the thread since its long but there certainly are a lot of different ways people were able to complete the upgrade process so maybe one of those may help,

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No external links.

Last edited by a moderator:

marsm

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been having issues too - my iPhone4 upgrade to iOS5 on my work laptop, running Windows 7 was a breeze.... getting my iPad 2 to upgrade on my home PC (Windows XP) is another story - the backup just never happens and I get the same message as above, except it's error coded -1303, and the "only" way to proceed is to wipe the iPad which is stupid really... has anyone here actually "beaten" this error without wiping their iPads?

faliosman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand new to IPad. Just bought IPad 2 3G WiFi. How do I load on OS5?

Ellenweiss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did the same thing last night..got the exact Same message and lost all od the data from my Vault app (passwords) and lost all data on my calendar. Can anyone help????

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am brand new to IPad. Just bought IPad 2 3G WiFi. How do I load on OS5?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With regard to your question about upgrading to iOS 5, here are the instructions from Apple...

Updating your iOS device

iTunes can update your device to the latest available iOS software. An update doesn't affect your user content or settings. iTunes creates a backup of your iOS device and then performs the update. Follow these steps to update your device:
  1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes before attempting to update.
  2. Connect your iOS device to your computer.
  3. Select your iOS device when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
  4. Select the Summary tab.
  5. Click "Check for Update"
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions
25sooqr.png

Note that depending on Apple's server load as well as your broadband connection, this update can take up to several hours (or it may be less). Be prepared to spend some time though.

More here:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

Odds are very good now that things will go fine. However prior to updating you might have a look at the tips in this post:

iOS 5 Upgrade Troubleshooting

Welcome again and enjoy!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 50 and 3000 series errors are almost always due to time-outs. In other words the connection to Apple's servers was lost for some reason. Apple's server load is still probably high, however if you're repeatedly getting one of these errors it's possible the issue is on your end now. Have a look at this thread and see if there's anything that you can do (or not do) on your end to resolve the issue:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html#post339338

Also, I came across this advice which seems to have corrected the problem for some Mac users. It's a terminal command line.

Close iTunes before running it!

Open Terminal and paste this line in, hit Return:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool false

If that works for anyone, please post back so we can add it to the tips as a confirmed fix. TIA!

Last edited:

Desmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem. synced ipad, backed up via itunes. installed IO5. Restore has not restored any of my documents; Pages, Numbers, Notes etc, - all gone. I keep getting the (-50) error message. Does Itunes back these docs anywhere during a sync? I'm clutching here.

Most reactions

Latest posts