What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Webwrangler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the smart cover is expensive for what it is, but I do think it's a great screen protector. My concern about scratches on the back lead me to the purchase of a Gelaskin which I totally love. It's printed with my own art, protects the back of the device, and doesn't interfere with the magnetic attachment of the smart cover. I was a little annoyed that the smart cover works best when folded inside out but it's actually easy to clean. I spilled red wine on mine this week and it washed right off with a damp towel.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rconn2 said:
Doesn't "skinning" or otherwise covering up the back insulate the aluminum (?) back and defeat its heat exchange purpose? Is this also perhaps a main reason the new covers don't cover the back? Imagine a laptop... who would "skin" one... they'd certainly overheat. An iPad doesn't even have a fan, so I'm guessing it really needs some serious surface area to conduct heat away.

Nope, I've never had a problem with the back of my device 'heating up' in all the time I've had it, in and out of a case, and lots of iPad owners have skinned their devices (myself included). You might think that if there was a problem, thousands of users would have made some noise about it by now.

And I have had my laptop 'skinned' for many years: you put the decal on the cover, of course, not on the underside.

sebek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO, it's an expensive device, so having it protected it's a must for me. I care for it's operation, but also it's looks. Don't care about the type of case, cover, skin or whatever you want to cover it. Just my two cents.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol What a joke. still not worth $40 bucks. It should be called an "I Got you to to pay $40 for something that should only cost $10 cover." Its way way over priced. Apple should be ashamed. Heck the way they talked it up on the original trailers it seemed like they were giving it away with the iPad 2. When I saw it was not free I was like WTH. But then again it's Apple we are talking about here right?

$40.00 for a well engineered device to protect and clean an over $500.00 device. I respectfully disagree.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It just depends if you want quality, or Wallmart. The smart case functions as designed, but no, it doesn't make cocktails. I finally got my iPad2 this Monday, I have had the leather smart case for about a month though. I love it. Works great, and like in the video posted earlier shows, you don't have to worry about carrying any cleaning cloth with you since you can fold, and use the actual smart cover to clean your screen like a blackboard eraser.

It is expensive, but number one you pay for quality, and number two, I paid $829.00 for my iPad2, so it's a drop in the bucket for the smart cover. I bought a very thin hard plastic clear cover for the back, and it works great with the smart cover as well. Many cases make the iPad just too bulky as will, this combo does not. IMHO

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol What a joke. still not worth $40 bucks. It should be called an "I Got you to to pay $40 for something that should only cost $10 cover." Its way way over priced. Apple should be ashamed. Heck the way they talked it up on the original trailers it seemed like they were giving it away with the iPad 2. When I saw it was not free I was like WTH. But then again it's Apple we are talking about here right?

$40.00 for a well engineered device to protect and clean an over $500.00 device. I respectfully disagree.

I agree, my iPad cost over $800. I'm not going to wear a JC penny tie with my Armani shirt. :)

If I was going to buy something other than the smart case, I would buy something that was an original idea, not a cheap knockoff.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think $40 is very reasonable compared to buying junk...

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/04/08/ipad.2.smart.cover.knockoff.serves.as.warning/

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
It's nice that you can also use it as a stand, but it seriously sucks that the backside is not protected at all :(

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No No No the smart cover is not worth the $$$s. Yes it does work and it works well. When I first got my smart cover I giggled every time I opened the case. However it Will fall off from its own weight.
You will scratch the back of your device.
It will get scuffed up and look beat up in time
By this time next year they Should be on sale for $10.00.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... However it Will fall off from its own weight...

As in the cover will separate from the iPad face? Or the part where the cover connects to the backing piece?

I ask because I was less than satisfied with my first cover so I took it and my iPad back to the Apple store and they confirmed my cover has some magnet issues relating to how they were mounted inside the cover and gave me a new one.

You might have a bad cover?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No No No the smart cover is not worth the $$$s. Yes it does work and it works well. When I first got my smart cover I giggled every time I opened the case. However it Will fall off from its own weight.
You will scratch the back of your device.
It will get scuffed up and look beat up in time
By this time next year they Should be on sale for $10.00.

That's just not true. I can hold just the open cover in my hand and it supports the the weight of the iPad, even if I swing and shake the cover. The magnets hold. If you have a smart cover that falls off from it's own weight you have a very broken smart cover. Take it back for exchange.

And yes, of course the smart cover only covers the front. This is news? I love the design of the smart cover and just bought a clear back cover to preserve the back, and the slim look of the iPad 2.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Tarkio said:
That's just not true. I can hold just the open cover in my hand and it supports the the weight of the iPad, even if I swing and shake the cover. The magnets hold. If you have a smart cover that falls off from it's own weight you have a very broken smart cover. Take it back for exchange.

And yes, of course the smart cover only covers the front. This is news? I love the design of the smart cover and just bought a clear back cover to preserve the back, and the slim look of the iPad 2.

Lol, I just had to try it out, on the couch that is so if it fell, no damage :)

Same with mine, holds on well, although I have to say I didn't shake it like a mad man

I would prefer some sort of protection on the backside, even if it was just a bit of very thin plastic, just to keep it in good condition

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have a really weird way of looking at technology but when I hear people talk about getting a case for the back of the iPad I keep repeating in my head "They want a case for their case." The back of the iPad is aluminum and its not the "back", its a case that protects the iPad hardware inside.

I understand the desire to protect the iPads case from scratches for resale purposes but I hate the idea of a redundant cases personally. I like the sleek look of the actual device.

Another reason I like the smart cover.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

Lol, I just had to try it out, on the couch that is so if it fell, no damage :)

Same with mine, holds on well, although I have to say I didn't shake it like a mad man

I would prefer some sort of protection on the backside, even if it was just a bit of very thin plastic, just to keep it in good condition

151652-image_500.jpeg

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com

Holy cow, I am so gonna try that out now, will report back in a while lol :D

OMG OMG! that has to be a selling point for apple, attach it to the fridge or whatever in the kitchen and use it as a cookbook lol

Could even attach it to the underside of an open bonnet whilst working on a car engine etc

Last edited:

Most reactions