What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Hmb_fore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not understand the concern for scratching the back so I really like the cover. It travels in my briefcase anyway so I can not find a reason for a sleeve.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmb_fore said:
Do not understand the concern for scratching the back so I really like the cover. It travels in my briefcase anyway so I can not find a reason for a sleeve.

Resale value. Besides, many of us like to really take care of our expensive toys so they continue to look nice. 

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think its pretty cool but way way over priced. Honestly the way apple was talking I though it was going to be free. If it were maybe $10 bucks. But $40 is out of control if you ask me.

Last edited:

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think its pretty cool buy way way over priced. Honestly the way apple was talking I though it was going to be free. If it were maybe $10 bucks. But $40 is out of control if you ask me.

My thoughts exactly. I would've paid $20 top for it.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iceman72 said:
I think its pretty cool but way way over priced. Honestly the way apple was talking I though it was going to be free. If it were maybe $10 bucks. But $40 is out of control if you ask me.

Honestly, I think the poly should be $19.99 and the leather $29.99. I agree that the current prices are a little bit too much. They'll eventually come down, but not for quite a while. You have to expect any hot new technology is going to be big bucks to start with. Either way, it's nothing to me because Apple gave me my blue leather one for free as a courtesy per an error on their part.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Honestly, I think the poly should be $19.99 and the leather $29.99. I agree that the current prices are a little bit too much. They'll eventually come down, but not for quite a while. You have to expect any hot new technology is going to be big bucks to start with. Either way, it's nothing to me because Apple gave me my blue leather one for free as a courtesy per an error on their part.

I don't believe that Apple will ever drop the price of the smart covers. What I think will happen is other manufactures will start to market a generic version in colorful patterns and materials at a lower rate.

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't "skinning" or otherwise covering up the back insulate the aluminum (?) back and defeat its heat exchange purpose? Is this also perhaps a main reason the new covers don't cover the back?

Imagine a laptop... who would "skin" one... they'd certainly overheat. An iPad doesn't even have a fan, so I'm guessing it really needs some serious surface area to conduct heat away.

I haven't come across any discussions about this (is it described in a user's guide re: the proper care and feeding of the iPad?). I wince viewing pictures of iPads with sticky plastic coverings. I could be wrong, but that sure seems like a big mistake -- or at least one that is causing more harm than any protective good.

Last edited:

Haus Of Albert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the Smart Cover is an amazing accessory for the iPad 2. It has a beautiful design and comes in many vibrant colours. However, the Smart Cover does not protect the back of the iPad, leaves 3 vertical marks on the iPad screen, and the case actually becomes very dirty and can be hard to clean.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rconn2 said:
Doesn't "skinning" or otherwise covering up the back insulate the aluminum (?) back and defeat its heat exchange purpose? Is this also perhaps a main reason the new covers don't cover the back?

Imagine a laptop... who would "skin" one... they'd certainly overheat. An iPad doesn't even have a fan, so I'm guessing it really needs some serious surface area to conduct heat away.

I haven't come across any discussions about this (is it described in a user's guide re: the proper care and feeding of the iPad?). I wince viewing pictures of iPads with sticky plastic coverings. I could be wrong, but that sure seems like a big mistake -- or at least one that is causing more harm than any protective good.

I have had a skin on the back for about a week now. I've never felt any warmth from the iPad, before or after the skin. And it's in use many hours a day, several hours at a time.

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haus Of Albert said:
I think the Smart Cover is an amazing accessory for the iPad 2. It has a beautiful design and comes in many vibrant colours. However, the Smart Cover does not protect the back of the iPad, leaves 3 vertical marks on the iPad screen, and the case actually becomes very dirty and can be hard to clean.

Lol do you work for Apple?

Today I just got my $12 dollar cheapy that I picked up from eBay and I love it. It's leather, covers the front and back, allows me to stand it up just like the apple one several ways and unknown to me it also has the magnet on the cover so it puts my baby to sleep when I close it. So I am stoked. Gotta love eBay. I ordered an extra hard cover for the rear but now that I love this one so much I wish I didn't order it.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pcEB7aU-2c]YouTube - The Pad 2 Smart Cover Is Actually Really Smart and a great cleaning tool![/ame]​

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad finally came today and I think I must be doing something wrong with the smartcover. Is it supposed to flop around and come off when you open it? I expected it to stay on while I folded it over the back. If this is the way it is supposed to work, then I'm returning it.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad finally came today and I think I must be doing something wrong with the smartcover. Is it supposed to flop around and come off when you open it? I expected it to stay on while I folded it over the back. If this is the way it is supposed to work, then I'm returning it.

It shouldn't come off when you open it, mine doesn't. But the magnets only hold on the front of the iPad, not the back. That's normal.

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol What a joke. still not worth $40 bucks. It should be called an "I Got you to to pay $40 for something that should only cost $10 cover." Its way way over priced. Apple should be ashamed. Heck the way they talked it up on the original trailers it seemed like they were giving it away with the iPad 2. When I saw it was not free I was like WTH. But then again it's Apple we are talking about here right?

Most reactions

Latest posts