What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative Browser For Safari

MobileSpoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobilespoon.net
I really get along with the iOS version of Safari. iPhone version works well, and the iPad one is even better, bigger, faster, comfortable. Still, when I started playing with Atomic Web Browser I was amazed by the number of features this web browser includes.

The Good:
First of all, Atomic Web Browser is not expensive ($ 0.99) and with such a low price you get tons of features, and I mean TONS of them:
  • Multiple tabs just like in any normal desktop browser – iPad really makes a good usage of them thanks to the large screen. It’s much better than the thumbnails based tabs in Safari
  • Integration with Facebook and Twitter
  • Support for any search engine (including custom ones)
  • Search inside a specific page (yeah! this is a killer!)
  • View source option
  • Dim screen options for night reading
  • Adjustable and saveable fonts
  • Lock rotation
  • Save page for offline viewing (another killer!)
  • Private mode
  • Built-in Adblock
AtomicWebBrowserMobileSpoon_thumb1.png

The Bad:
Well, just by playing with it for an hour I did manage to find some issues with this great application:
  • Slow performance, because without background threads (coming soon to iPad) – the application must reload all tabs all over again on open.
  • You cannot assign Atomic Web to be your default browser, which means, you cannot move all of your internet work to Atomic Web.
Besides that, there are some other areas for improvements like the name (Atomic Web??? Come on!), the icon of the app, etc. But all of those are nothing compared to the "Ugly" section of this review.
The Ugly:
For now, every time you close Atomic Web Browser you lose your navigation history (which means the next time you open it, it reloads all the pages, from scratch… You do not have the option to navigate ‘back’ etc.). Of course, you don’t have that problem with Safari which is enjoying unique background privileges and never really closes.
Show stopper? Maybe. For some of us – it is.
The Happy Ending:
But don’t you worry boys and girls! There’s a happy ending to our story:
With version 4 of iOS coming to iPad, the ‘Ugly’ section of this review (lose of navigation history) will be mostly solved with multi-tasking. It’s sad, but if you are looking for a powerful web browser you may be willing to pay the price.
Summary:

To summarize this review – I believe Atomic Web is a serious competitor to the Safari browser if you are a power user seeking for a desktop-like browsing experience. The endless list of features make it efficient for many causes, and I’m going to use it from now on.
More iPad Apps Reviews at the Mobile Spoon

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
You forgot a very important feature of this browser - the ability for it to appear as a good number of different browsers in order to "trick" sites that force "mobile versions of their site after detecting Safari on an iPad.

IE 6,7,8, Firefox 3, 3 versions of Safari (iPad, iPhone, Desktop), WAP.

That right there was a selling point for me and I use it all the time.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've bought several safari alternatives and there is always something about all of them I hate.

I think the problem I had with this one is that the google search bar doesn't give suggestions and I use that all the time....so it became useless to me. It's a good browser tho and I use it on occasion for things like private browsing if I want to check my bank account or browser spoofing if a site just won't let me view on iPad properly.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also love the customisable on screen buttons which you can place in a location of your choice from a vast selection of actions - bookmarks, forwards & backwards, home page, font scaling, reload page, tab switching etc. These can be configured independently for normal and full screen modes. You can also assign actions to different multi touch actions.
I love this browser on the iPad.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My favorite features are tabs and gestures. I like switching between tabs with a swipe, which takes advantage of both features.

Most reactions

Latest posts