What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirTunes no sound

Reaction score
After setting up an Airport Express, any sound played from the iPad (ipod and movies) will be mute when it is supposed to stream to the APE. Playing itunes music from a Win7 laptop to the same APE works fine. But for some reason, the iPad music seems to be muted. Even at max volume, there is no sound.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

The following devices are used:
iPad 3G 32GB with 4.2.1
APE firmware 7.5.2 (?) updated today

The APE used to be part of another network, but due to massive trouble, it now create it's own unique wireless network, but still doesn't work properly.:confused:

Last edited:

sunshipballoons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I can hear sound when I play on my Airport Express from my MacBook Pro, but not from my iPad. It happens in iTunes and in Video. The iPad appears to be connected to the Airport Express, but, like I said, no sound. It started today around when I upgraded to Firmware 2.0.03 on my Cisco/Linksys WRT160Nv2.

sunshipballoons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thing I've noticed: there is a longer delay than there used to be when the iPad connects to the airport express. (As noted before, iPad *connects* to the APE, but no sound comes out.)

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Almost forgot about this thread.

The good news is:
Airplay now works with the iPad.

But the technology is definitely not plug'n'play at the moment. After setting up two separate networks, one with 3 APE's and the other one with just 1 APE, it seems to me that getting the iPad AirPlay to work is a hit and miss game.

But here is the procedure which made it work in the end:
-updated APE's firmware, even if the newest is already installed
-removed all other Wifi routers and access points by unplugging their power supply
-setup wifi on the APE

-joined wifi with iPad and tried AirPlay, if it didn't work, then I rebooted iPad, reset the APE and setup a new network with a different name.

Known limitation:
The network is fragile and changing wifi settings again sometimes break iPad's AirPlay.

sunshipballoons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I don't like about that solution is that a couple of days ago, this all worked fine on my linksys network.

Another piece of information also makes me wonder about this whole thing: I just tried streaming just audio to my apple TV (playing the iPod app on my iPad and selecting apple TV). That isn't working either. So, it appears to me that the problem is that, although the iPad is connecting to the ape or the apple tv, it doesn't stream anything when it's just audio (video still works fine on apple tv, including the sound).

sunshipballoons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay, in the end, resetting the router did the trick. I don't really get how the problem could have been at the router, since all other aspects of my network were working fine, but that fixed it so I'll just accept the solution as a mystery of the universe.

Most reactions

Latest posts