What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Jailbreaking my iPad, it now reboots with a different layout and resolution

Reaction score
After Jailbreaking my iPad 2 iOS 5.0.1 using Absinthe for the jailbreak, whenever I reboot, it loads up in a manner that suggests it thinks it is an iPhone / iPod (strange resolution, mispositioned lock screen, bizarre icon layout). This gets resolved after restarting springpad however, any changes previously made to the icon layout (including putting them into new folders etc) seem to get "forgotten" and even changed. For example, several items from my games folder keep coming back out.

What could be happening and how do I fix my iPad while maintaining my Absinthe jailbreak?

Thank you in advance for your help! :eek:

Installed Packages:

Activator
SBSettings (and related packages)
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method
BigBoss Icon Set
Corona 5.0.1 Untether
Cydia Installer
Cydia Translations
Erica Utilities
f.lux
FolderIcons
Manual Correct
Mobile Substrate
My3G
PkgBackup
WinterBoard

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would certainly look into f.lux. Not sure I can see anywhere that it is noted as iPad compatible. Developers have a very bad habit of saying compatible with "devices", but meaning "phones".

Folder Icons may also need looked at. See the note at the top here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...cons-free-change-your-folders-appearance.html

Try removing those using Cydia and see if it fixes the problem after a reboot.

Last edited:

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me before i had f.lux installed.(I have it now, works fine afaik) I also have foldericons, winterboard, sbsettings and activator in common with OP. Maybe this helps. My geuss would be foldericons, but it does not anoy me enough to find out; I don't reboot often and a simple respring works around.

Dzulhafiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.neobux.com
Also had the same problem here and hope that someone can give me some suggestion on how to repair this. It only uses 1/6 area of the screen.

Attachments

• image-3078290060.png
    image-3078290060.png
    538.3 KB · Views: 535
  • image-302245826.png
    image-302245826.png
    580.5 KB · Views: 516
  • image-2447344217.png
    image-2447344217.png
    532.5 KB · Views: 458

Dzulhafiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.neobux.com
Also happen to my wife iPhone 4s but i successfully solved it by entering safe mode via Activator and uninstalled the most recent apps that install. Reinstall it back, update everything and ok.. For ipad2, dont know how.
TQ.

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have foldericons installed, uninstall it and report back if it worked please. If not, just report back what tweaks you have in common with the OP, please.

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can respring with sbsettings. That solves it untill you reboot.

Dzulhafiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.neobux.com
The advice after jailbreaking, directly search for sbsetting on cydia and install it.. All the tools that came in the package will help you to prevent from experiencing the problem that i had last night.

Sent from my iPad 2, 64G wifi+GSM, iOS 4.3.3 Jailbreak. via iPF.

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, but if you run into it (the problem of the strange layout of the springboard), you can respring it, as a workaround. If you report what tweaks you have installed, especially ones in common with the OP, maybe we can find out what tweak causes the problem.

Dzulhafiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.neobux.com
Advice that i gave is for ipad 2. Because when that problem occurs, u cannot operate anything with touch.. It was different with iphone 4s where we can still touch to select for reboot or repsring it.

Sent from my Black iPhone 4s iOS 5.0.1 Jailbroken by Absinthe using iPF

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can still swipe down the notification area, although it looks messed up. If you have sbsettings, you should be able to respring (swipe the sbsettings icons right) from there. But what tweaks do you use/ did you use last time it happened? I think you use foldericons, don't you?

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have this problem too, this is what i do, if you can swipe for sbsettings or if you set it to "hold home button" (which i advise since i find it safer) just go to sbsettings and don't respiring or reboot, that won't solve the problem or at least it doesn't with me, just go to safe mode and then click on restart, this won't solve the problem permanently as every single time you'll reboot you'll have those icons the same way, just repeat procedures and everything should be fine, any change made in the icon position or whatever should stay as you last positioned them. Hope it helped

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Timey, may I ask what tweaks you have that may cause this? I hope to find what app causes this so this can be solved insteadnof just worked around.

fstbusa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another workaround....

I have the same issue. The only fix I've found is to create a file called "com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat" without the quotes and put it in

/var/mobile/library/preferences

Then reboot and respring and it should be back to normal.

The only problem is EVERYTIME you reboot the file seems to be deleted and you have to do this again. I've found the easiest way to do this without a computer is to create the file with a .old or .test file extension and leave it in the / directory.

Install ifile and when it happens you can go into safemode with sbsettings and then use ifile to move and rename the file and respring twice and it will fix it.

Most reactions

Latest posts