What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affordable mobile wifi

augie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using a cradlepoint phs300 for the last few weeks with a sprint 595u.

I find it reliable and speedy enough. I can usually get a couple hours of battery life.

Buy.com sells it for $99 plus shipping.

CradlePoint PHS300 Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot 3G - PHS300 - Buy.com
I don't understand how craddlepoint actually works. Is it a cell company? If so how much is it per month? And I wonder if its available in NYC.

You still need a phone to tether or a USB cell modem to get it running. My work provides me with a VZW 3g modem so this just adds the ability to use the modem as a wifi hot spot. I wish I saw the buy.com price because I paid about 150 for mine

Last edited:

Mikeb41g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need a little help on connneecing

I've been using a cradlepoint phs300 for the last few weeks with a sprint 595u.

I find it reliable and speedy enough. I can usually get a couple hours of battery life.

Buy.com sells it for $99 plus shipping.

CradlePoint PHS300 Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot 3G - PHS300 - Buy.com
I don't understand how craddlepoint actually works. Is it a cell company? If so how much is it per month? And I wonder if its available in NYC.

You still need a phone to tether or a USB cell modem to get it running. My work provides me with a VZW 3g modem so this just adds the ability to use the modem as a wifi hot spot. I wish I saw the buy.com price because I paid about 150 for mine

I am a little confused on this as I am not sure how to connect. If= IfI have a modem, how do I use USB as Ipad does not have a port
If using any of the other suggestions in this thread, Please help some of us out and instruct us as to how to use them

Thanks

augie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3G modem connects to the Cradlepoint router, starts up the modem and distributes it via wifi. It is completely separate from the iPad, laptop, or any other wifi device you have. You still need a 3G modem service from a service provider to get this going but its just an alternate to the iPad 3G since I already have 3G service and don't want to pay for additional service.
Check the link for a bit more info: PHS300 Personal WiFi Hotspot - 3G/4G | Cradlepoint Technology

wildm011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered a Cradlepoint 300. I already have the Sierra 597 USB modem (unlimited plan for North America). I plan on using it to ease my data roaming costs for my iPhone as well. Once the 3g connection is converted to WiFi, the iPhone, iPad, iPods, laptops, etc. should all be able to use it.

The reason I began this search was to determine if the extra expense for a 3G-capable iPad was necessary. As long as it performs as expected, I'll skip the 3G-capability in the iPad, and stick with WiFi.

Cheers,
wildm011

Most reactions

Latest posts