What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Do I Need 4G?

MacDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed video streaming choppiness on 3G in the U.S., but I don't use it enough for it to matter. I wouldn't trade 10% battery life, much less 20%, for faster speeds. 3G is fast enough for me, given the tradeoff. When I stream video, I'm typically on wi-fi.

I agree 100% but i think jsh1120 does make a good point also. When i'm in the city i do notice a bit of lag when streaming content. So in that respect having 4G is a plus. I'm just not sure it's a must.

It seems to me like a new feature the carriers can dangle in front of customers to get them to upgrade. Not to mention Sprint charging me an extra $10 bucks a month.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify my point. I don't think 4G is "a must," either. Especially (given the reviews of its performance I've seen) not the "4G" offered by Sprint. I have a mobile hotspot primarily because I need to be able to access the internet from several devices simultaneously even when wifi is not available (at a customer site) or the "free wifi" in a hotel is pure crap. Given that I have those requirements, I certainly didn't need a 3G iPad with an additional data plan (even a non-contract data plan) at a premium ($130) price. The fact that my "mifi" hotspot runs on the Verizon 4G/LTE network was simply an additional benefit. And frankly, I've been amazed at how well it performs and the widespread coverage I've experienced. (I really didn't expect 4G coverage in Kalamazoo, Michigan, for example, but it's there.)

For someone like Kaykaykay who streams video primarily on a fast wifi network (unlike the less than .50 mps performance I often get in a hotel with "free" wifi), the advantage of 4G is negligible. I almost never turn on my mifi hotspot at home, for example. And for anyone who needs internet access at a location away from an AC power source for more than 4 hours at a time, 4G is literally useless since it's probably not even available out in the woods miles from the nearest outlet. In my case the 4G hotspot comes in very handy as noted above at customer sites where I don't have to rely on accessing the net via a secured local network and the IT guy is either suspicious of my motives or not available today or at a hotel where "wifi" is little better than "edge" level performance. In those cases, the user experience over 4G is literally indistinguishable from my very fast cable modem/wifi network in my home and I don't have to go through the hoops of getting a network password from an IT guy who thinks I'm a terrorist trying to hack the organization's network or trying to explain "wifi" to a hotel desk clerk. Believe me, I've been down those roads many times in the past and it's not pleasant.

My requirements are challenging. Most folks don't have to deal with these issues. For many (probably most) people a non-contract 3G iPad is perfectly satisfactory and less expensive than the alternatives. And for those who have smartphones (iPhones and others) where only 3G tethering is available, it may well be quite satisfactory. Finally, for those on contract to a carrier with very limited 4G/LTE coverage (AT&T) or where "4G" is a marketing term rather than a technical term (Sprint), its value is, imo, negligible.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to me like a new feature the carriers can dangle in front of customers to get them to upgrade. Not to mention Sprint charging me an extra $10 bucks a month.

I'd probably be willing to cough 10 more bucks for 4G if I could keep unlimited data, but only without giving up battery life. It's not that I don't see the appeal of speed; I just value battery life more than a speed upgrade.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd probably be willing to cough 10 more bucks for 4G if I could keep unlimited data, but only without giving up battery life. It's not that I don't see the appeal of speed; I just value battery life more than a speed upgrade.

Just an FYI along this line. Verizon currently allows one to upgrade to a 4G/LTE phone (with tethering) and maintain one's unlimited data plan. Of course, as MacDan points out, this is simply another feature that Verizon "dangles" in front of an existing customer to promote re-enrollment in multiyear contracts. Nevertheless, when my mifi hotspot contract expires, I'll probably move to a 4G/LTE phone and eliminate the additional line and device.

As noted on another thread, this stuff is so damn complicated that I think a consultant could make a living advising consumers on minimizing cost and maximizing performance on cell devices.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an FYI along this line. Verizon currently allows one to upgrade to a 4G/LTE phone (with tethering) and maintain one's unlimited data plan. Of course, as MacDan points out, this is simply another feature that Verizon "dangles" in front of an existing customer to promote re-enrollment in multiyear contracts. Nevertheless, when my mifi hotspot contract expires, I'll probably move to a 4G/LTE phone and eliminate the additional line and device.

As noted on another thread, this stuff is so damn complicated that I think a consultant could make a living advising consumers on minimizing cost and maximizing performance on cell devices.

Thanks, I'm on AT&T GSM because of overseas use; I just switch out my SIMs when away from the U.S. I've also opted not to tether, for battery and convenience reasons.

Most reactions

Latest posts