What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe and Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Question: I've heard people complain about this new version not having Flash or Adobe when everyone figured that would've been one of the upgrades. However, isn't there an App for that? Although I've had all the iPhones this will be my first iPad and since it's being compared to a mini computer I'm wondering how much am I going to miss the Flash and Adobe features.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
....when everyone figured that would've been one of the upgrades.

no they didnt, and the more you use your idevice the more you'll find you wont miss the lack of flash.

but, there are browsers for your ipad that semi-over come this non-flash issue to a certain degree. try iswifter, puffin and skyfire for starters.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They didn't forget to include flash capability with iPad 1 - no reason to believe it will be added any time soon.

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will miss flash..there are things that require it. However read Steve Jobs article on it and you will know it's not going to happen on iPad! I'm sending emails to sites as I reach them, pleading for them to use something other than flash. My only major irritation is people on this forum telling you you will not miss it. Yea, I can get by without water too,but don't tell me I don't need it.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will miss flash..there are things that require it. However read Steve Jobs article on it and you will know it's not going to happen on iPad! I'm sending emails to sites as I reach them, pleading for them to use something other than flash. My only major irritation is people on this forum telling you you will not miss it. Yea, I can get by without water too,but don't tell me I don't need it.

Did you know that the iPad didn't support flash before you bought it?

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and I knew a lot of things didn't have options when they began but demand generally drove changes. Didn't get stuck in a grudge match. I've lived a long time and seen lots of things evolve. This one doesn't seem to be totally based on data.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
blessed said:
I'm wondering how much am I going to miss the Flash and Adobe features.

Depends on what sites you visit and how tied up you are in all of the glitz. I originally was thinking of getting an iPad shortly after they first came out but I wasn't sure if I would miss the Flash support so I downloaded a plug-in to disable Flash in Firefox to see if I'd miss it. Nope. Firefox also doesn't crash as often since I disabled Flash. I haven't felt the need to re-enable it in almost a year, even though I ended up waiting for the second generation iPad.

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok..I have to respond, and I'm adjusted to having to go to a computer to get flash, but test demonstrations on medical procedures I'm about to undergo, greeting cards I've been using to send to my kids, catalogue pages for shopping at holidays, information videos from the middle east in crisis....hardly glitz for a senior who likes her apple products to interact with the world. Avoidance of an obvious issue that must be addressed sooner or later, at least by us, the consumers strikes me as not quite forward thinking...and I see this site as more future focused.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Snowlady said:
Ok..I have to respond, and I'm adjusted to having to go to a computer to get flash, but test demonstrations on medical procedures I'm about to undergo, greeting cards I've been using to send to my kids, catalogue pages for shopping at holidays, information videos from the middle east in crisis....hardly glitz for a senior who likes her apple products to interact with the world. Avoidance of an obvious issue that must be addressed sooner or later, at least by us, the consumers strikes me as not quite forward thinking...and I see this site as more future focused.

Like I said, it depends upon you.

I rarely look at videos on the web - mostly if a source doesn't have text that I can scan through for information I'm interested in, I look for a different source. Never had an issue with catalog pages but I don't do a lot of holiday shopping these days. Thankfully I haven't had to worry about medical procedures but, again, I don't care much for online video (don't care much for movies or television either so I'm not necessarily representative.)

I like to read and I can scan a news story for important information before the narrator for the video version has finished introducing himself and setting the stage. If I really want to watch something - a big news event or such - I turn on the television.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing to note - with the number of iPads and iPhones that have been sold more and more websites are likely to be looking for alternatives to Flash. I read a couple of days ago that someone else, Mozilla?, was planning to phase Flash support out as HTML5 takes hold. It will take some time but I, at least, won't be sorry to see it go.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing to note - with the number of iPads and iPhones that have been sold more and more websites are likely to be looking for alternatives to Flash. I read a couple of days ago that someone else, Mozilla?, was planning to phase Flash support out as HTML5 takes hold. It will take some time but I, at least, won't be sorry to see it go.

I agree! I have used my iPad for almost a year and only once did I pop into a website that required flash.

Apple will never support flash.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amazon's new file storage and web player would be nice on the ipad. You can keep you music in the "cloud" and stream it from a web browser. It requires flash. There's a dozen or so things I really wish I could do like that, but I'm making it ok without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions