What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding iPad to my devices... how?

billwill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend has bought a new iPad and given me his old one. He wiped as much as he could off of it. What should I do to begin using it? I have a Macbook Pro and a iPhone but don't want to sync any of them with the iPad. Someone told me I need to totally wipe the iPad clean and load a new OS on it.

How do I do this? Right now it says it's "Up to date" running iOS 9.3.5. Yes, it's an OLD ipad... thanks for you expertise and assistance.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it‘s an iPad 2 or 3, it really is up to date.

Make sure the former owner‘s iCloud ID has been removed. If it is, erase all content and settings, just to make sure nothing installed before is still there:
Go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings. This will set it back to factory default, and you can start using it with your own ID.

OP
B

billwill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Make sure the former owner‘s iCloud ID has been removed. If it is, erase all content and settings, just to make sure nothing installed before is still there:
Go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings. This will set it back to factory default, and you can start using it with your own ID.

OP
B

billwill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
He can't remember his Apple ID password. It's asking for that in order to erase the iPad. ??

Hi Billwill - this Apple Support Article provides help if a passcode is forgotten - take a look - requires some effort. This Support Article is what should have been done by the previous owner before handing the device over to you. Finally, let us know the Model of the iPad - can be found on the back at the bottom as shown below (may need a source of magnification) - just curious how old the iPad may be and whether worth your effort vs. obtaining a 'newer' device yourself, if desired? Good luck - Dave :)
identify-ipad-model-for-stand.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
He's racking his brain; maybe it will come to him sometime. Thanks for indulging me.

He can attempt to recover his Apple ID by going to Apple.com > the Support tab, and choosing "Forgot Apple ID or Password". It's just below the icons of all the different products.

With luck, he'll remember enough to recover the rest.

If he has an iCloud account (very few iPad user's don't) he can try to recover his password on iCloud.com. The Apple ID and iCloud ID are almost always the same. You have to go a fair bit out of the normals setup procedure to make them different

Most reactions

Latest posts