What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding an "OTHER" email account - NTL wont work

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I purchased my very first iPad yesterday and downloaded last night the IOS 5 update, I added my hotmail account to the iPad which was fine and created (I think) my icloud account but not sure). I can then add additional email accounts under settings which is fine, but it cannot seem to verify my main account which I wish to Sync to, which is my NTLworld account using the "other" facility under settings and mail

It comes up a message unable to find account using SSL, so I select yes to continue manually and then it just sticks at verifying?

Totally stuck, can anyone help

Also now I am being think, icloud, how do you see what is backed up? How come I have to sync only when its connected to my laptop and not via WiFi?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does NTL support SSL? I'm assuming that you didn't have email set up before the update to iOS5?

Tim

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Does NTL support SSL? I'm assuming that you didn't have email set up before the update to iOS5?

Tim

Hi

I did try to set it up before the Upgrade and thought ok that didn't work so upgrade then try again but I still have the same problem

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - several email service providers don't support SMTP with SSL. You might want to try without the SSL option....

Tim

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - several email service providers don't support SMTP with SSL. You might want to try without the SSL option....

Tim

Hi

Looking at my account it does say pop3.ntlworld.com and smtp.ntlworld.com so I assumed it would work. I did try the option of not using SSL which the iPad offered and it still didn't work

Sorry

SNOWDROP252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at my account it does say pop3.ntlworld.com and smtp.ntlworld.com so I assumed it would work. I did try the option of not using SSL which the iPad offered and it still didn't work

Sorry

My ipad2 will not accept a TISCALI E Mail address. It accepts Hotmail and TalkTalk adddresses....... but NOT Tiscali.

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the only way is to forward my emails to a hotmail account so at least I get them

SNOWDROP252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
babypink
I had to set up a completely new E Mail address that the ipad would accept. Then I cancelled the tiscali one after telling all my contacts to use the new address.

Bigdavep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ntl working on my iPad 2. I had to log into my email account on the virgin media website and make sure imap was enabled. (it was by default but yours may not be).

I then used imap.ntlworld.com as my incoming server.
Smtp.virginmedia.com as my outgoing server.

My username is the the bit before the @ and obviously you need to know your password.

Took me a while to work it out but seems to work perfectly now with these settings.

Dave.

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly that didn't work setup a new hotmail acct and fwd the emails to there it's the only solution

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since SSL only affects the outgoing mail, receiving mail shouldn't be a problem. Two questions/comments/suggestions.

Are you trying to set this up via a WiFi connection to a broadband link provided by NTL? This could be an issue if you're not because many service providers will not accept non-SSL outgoing mail because of a security risk - for 'vanilla' SMTP no account name or password is required and so it's possible to send emails purporting to come from someone else. It's called the 'port 25 relay problem' and so most service providers will only accept outgoing SMTP mail if the SSL option is used, unless you're sending from your 'home' broadband/WiFi network. Then the service provider can positively identify you. I have this problem too and so I use a hybrid account - I receive (using POP or IMAP) on my service provider's mail server but send using gmail, because Google supports SSL.

Tim

OP
B

babypink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My broadband is supplied by Virgin Media aka NTL and use WiFi. To ease the pain I've fwd emails to a new hotmail acct which now thankfully appear on my iPad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - maybe that 'workaround' is the best solution. No point in beating yourself up if you can find away around the problem...

Tim

Lazydaisy25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just got my iPad 2 and am horrified at the difficulty of setting up to send and receive mail from ntlworld. I've set up gmail and hotmail instantly. My I touch and htc phone were ok so why is this so hard? I know I've had to fiddle a bit in the past but this is silly I'm stuck in a verification loop no matter what I try. I am used to not being able to send mail when away from the home network but get round that by using gmail. There's too much involved in getting a new email address out there. I got the iPad due to eye problems and looked forward to being able to see my emails! I've tried all the above so any more suggestions? I refuse to be defeated but I have enough going on with christmas coming up to spend hours trying to se this up!

boyzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are my settings for NTL on my iPad 2 :
Incoming Mail Server
Host Name imap.virginmedia.com
User Name your ntl username ********
Pasword your ntl password

Outgoing Mail Server
SMTP smtp.virginmedia.com

Use SSL ON
Authentication password