What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessing Internet using my laptop's USB modem

HollyUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hoping I can get some sensible advice here.

I am with O2 for my iPhone 4 and have an O2 USB dongle/modem which I use to connect my laptop to the internet when out and about. I'm trying to find the most cost effective way of connecting my iPad 2 to the internet when away from home.

I was talking to O2 today about connectivity for my iPad 2 (which has WiFi and 3g but as yet no card), and they told me that there is an accessory which allows me to connect my USB dongle/modem to my iPad 2. This would mean that I don't need an additional data plan, and can use the one I have for the laptop (which is under-used). I couldn't find this accessory/cable on the Apple site, so called them. They tell me they haven't heard of it.

My question is - is there a third party cable that would do this? If so where can I get it from?

We spoke about tethering, but this means I can't use my phone whilst tethered which may be a problem for me.

Other than this - what is the cheapest way of connecting the ipad for occasional use away from home?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HollyUK said:
Hoping I can get some sensible advice here.

I am with O2 for my iPhone 4 and have an O2 USB dongle/modem which I use to connect my laptop to the internet when out and about. I'm trying to find the most cost effective way of connecting my iPad 2 to the internet when away from home.

I was talking to O2 today about connectivity for my iPad 2 (which has WiFi and 3g but as yet no card), and they told me that there is an accessory which allows me to connect my USB dongle/modem to my iPad 2. This would mean that I don't need an additional data plan, and can use the one I have for the laptop (which is under-used). I couldn't find this accessory/cable on the Apple site, so called them. They tell me they haven't heard of it.

My question is - is there a third party cable that would do this? If so where can I get it from?

We spoke about tethering, but this means I can't use my phone whilst tethered which may be a problem for me.

Other than this - what is the cheapest way of connecting the ipad for occasional use away from home?

Were they referring to the camera connection kit maybe?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a MyFi from 3, you can find it on their website. Only just started using it but super fast and so far the only place I've found where it wont connect is in my own home (where I have broadband anyway). Oh, and I've gone PAYG for this as I often have wifi access in my workplace.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

There is no such device. Your O2 person did not know what they were talking about. It would require more than just the hardware, which the Camera Connection Kit does supply. It also needs the necessary software drivers for the USB dongle/modem, and there is no way to install those.

There is one possibility. You could upgrade your dongle to something like a MiFi. This is a more versatile device that can be used as either a tethered USB 3G modem, or as a wireless hotspot that can connect up to 5 wi-fi devices. Chances are you could keep the same or similar plan and would only have to pay for the device.

The up side is that you would only need one plan and could connect both your iPad and laptop with it. The downside is that you have to carry another device around with you when you want to use the iPad on the go.

Most reactions

Latest posts