What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About Photos & Storage, please

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All!,
I have a discrepancy, it seems, about my photos. I have an iPad Air. When I check 'Moments', it says I have 193 photos and 9 videos. Also, it says that 22 items are being uploaded.

OTOH, my iCloud Photo Library says I have 179 photos and 4 videos.

I believe the uploading is going from Moments to iCloud. Can anyone tell me why the math doesn't add up? (Moments->193+9+22=total 224, right?) Meanwhile, Photo Library adds to 179+4=total183.

This bugs me. First, I like to know exactly how many photos/videos I've got. Second, I want to see them all so I can edit/delete/recover my collection to my liking. Third, I'd like to know why this situation should exist in the first place.

Thanks for reading! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The 193 photos and 9 videos (202 items) are what are on your phone The 22 items to upload are 'some' of those items that have not been uploaded to iCloud Photo library yet. Another words, you should be seeing 22 fewer items on iCloud Photo library (180 items)

On iCloud Photo library your 179 photos plus 4 videos add up to 183 items total; so it's not an exact match, but it's pretty close. Chances are that the difference is in verification. 3 of the 22 itmes have been uploaded and acknoledged by iCloud Photo LIbrary, but the iPhone hasn't verified that those photos/videos are safely done uploading. Or it could just be the time difference between updates (or checking) between the two libraries.

All in all, you iCloud Photo Library seems to be healthy. What you want to do is wait until your iPad and all other device you've got synced to the same iCloud Photo LIbrary say they are updated, then check the iCloud library. At that point the number should match, or be very close.

If you are checking using the Photos app on a Mac, then you'll also want to make sure it says it is "updated just now". If you check icloud.com in a browser you may not see any indication of upload/downloading status, since that is controlded by the individual devices/computers that are connected to the service. I'll have to chedk to be sure, since I rarely look at the library that way.

Note: Devices don't always upload pictures immediately. By default picrtures are only uploaded when you are on wi-fi and the iPad has a decent charge. You can change the wi-fi only settings. Even when on wi-fi, the iPad will pick it's own time unless you open the Photos app (which forces an update).

Last edited:
OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks once again, twerppoet! FYI, I have been going through Settings->General->Storage & iCloud Usage, using an iPad Air.

It all seems rather complicated, I will re-read.

One more question- can I see all my photos on my iPad now, or do I have to wait until they're all uploaded?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks once again, twerppoet! FYI, I have been going through Settings->General->Storage & iCloud Usage, using an iPad Air.

It all seems rather complicated, I will re-read.

One more question- can I see all my photos on my iPad now, or do I have to wait until they're all uploaded?

Uploading means the iPad is sending photos to iCloud Photo Library. If there were photos in iCloud that were not on your iPad it would say Downloading xx items.

Uploading means you are sending stuff.
Downloading means you are receiving stuff.

So, unless you have photos on another iOS device (or computer) that have not been uploaded to iCloud Photo Library, your iPad should have everything.

Most reactions

Latest posts