What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A second Ipad

fiveonomo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
About three months ago I bought my first IPad and have fallen in love. I am still learning how to use everything and basically how to understand it all.
Fast forward to now and my daughter who is 9 is dying for a tablet and my wife and I have agreed on buying her one. Because of cost I bought her the kindle fire Saturday for her birthday that is next week. I have not opened it yet and I am considering taking it back for the iPad 2 at $399.00. My question is how the heck do I set it up? I mean as far as the account. Do I set up a brand new apple ID or do I use mine? If I use my ID will the content that I download from the app store be on both of them?
I looked at the parental controls on the iPad and they are definately better than what the kindle fire has to offer. There is also a web site called mobicip that I think replaces the browser and is safe for a kid. I am not sure what to do, my account or create another one? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
My plan is to pick it up Tuesday and set it all up so when I give it to her on Saturday it will be ready to go. Thanks in advance.
Scott

grimbarian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For information:
As far as having 2 iPads on the same account - I have an iPad1 and an iPad2 on my account. I gave them different names and have some different apps on them. I sync mine on my PC and iTunes keeps different sets of information for each. The only thing to watch is when you download a new app. You have to tick or untick the box next to the apps icon in the iPads app list when the iPad is plugged in depending whether you want the app on that iPad. Easy to do if you list them by date as the latest are at the top of the list.

In your case it may well be more convenient to have separate Apple IDs

John

OP
fiveonomo

fiveonomo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the information. Is there any parents out there that have been presented with the same problem?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have kids, but I'm the "IT person" for my iPad and my 81-year old mom's iPad. So, I maintain two iPads. To do so, I use one Apple ID ... mine.

With one ID, I only have to buy an app once and I can share it between the two iPads; I don't have to buy two different versions of an app (Apple allows for family members to share apps versus having to buy them separately). This saves a lot of money.

And, as the IT person, it's much easier to use one Apple ID to keep the iPads up-to-date. I don't have to sign in and out of two different IDs and I can keep everything in the one iTunes account.

So - that's my recommendation - use one Apple ID and be your daughter's IT person. Good luck with your decision - your daughter is going to be thrilled whatever device you end up getting.

Marilyn

OP
fiveonomo

fiveonomo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. She is gonna be very happy when she opens the box and finds an iPad.

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fiveonomo said:
Thank you so much for your response. She is gonna be very happy when she opens the box and finds an iPad.

What a top dad!

Most reactions

Latest posts