What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Conundrum, or at least I think it is?

Avestan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have been having trouble trying to move documents I've written on the iPad to another computer.

Now before someone says email it, I need to be able to do it without the internet.

To cut a long story short, I work in developing countries where internet access is haphazard at best. My usual travel kit includes a ZTE MF60 MiFi wireless hotspot and an airport express. These two keep me connected most of the time, and typically I can always set up a local wireless network, even when there is no actual internet access. In these situations, when someone in the office needs a file, it's saved to a USB stick and physically walked to where it needs to be.

So what I am looking for is a USB stick replacement for the iPad.

So these are the products I have looked at:

Hardware:
AirStash
iFlashDrive
HyperDrive Hard Drive
Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile

Software:
WiFi Files
Docs to Go
etc. etc. etc.

All of these seem to be geared at shipping content to the iPad, but no where can I see a product that will allow me to write something on the iPad and ship it to another computer over a local wireless network.
I.e. I can't write a document in Pages and sent it to WiFi Files or the GoFlex Satellite for sharing.

The only app that seems to be able to do it is iFile (Cydia), with the file browser's advertised ability to navigate the directory structure of the iPad/iPhone.

However will it be able to find the file I have created in Pages, Numbers, Docs to Go, or other reasonably full featured Office style app, which i can then ship via the iFile built-in web server to another computer on a local wireless network.

Of course there is the next question of how these files are actually stored within their respective programs, the progress bar indicates some sort of processing is happening prior to emailing.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the above products, or if I've missed one, and can provide some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at the app called iFiles (not to be confused with the Cydia tweak/app iFile). It's $3.99 (USD), in the App Store.

Disclaimer: I have it and I use it exactly how you describe you want - I wirelessly move documents back and forth between the iPad to my Windows 7 PC. Well, actually, more from the iPad to the PC. And, it also works great in moving stuff between the iPad and my iPhone. All of this over my local/home WiFi.

You use the PC to map a network drive of the iPad (no extra software needed on the PC). Then, with iFiles running on the iPad, you access it from the control panel of the PC. See this picture to see what I have set up (I've made a permanent mapping on my home PC):

NetworkMapped.png

Now, I don't have any of the Apple office products (Pages, Numbers, etc.) so I don't know how it'd work, but I can tell you that if an app has an "Open In..." function (e.g. Goodreader), you can open the document in iFiles and from there, it's an easy transfer to the computer.

So, take a look at it? As long as you know how to access network drives, I don't see why this method won't work on any computer (or Mac - though I don't own a Mac to test). And, since you can create wireless networks, this should work...

Now, if I've way confused myself as to what you want/mean/need and wandered off from your original question/point, then never mind. :D But, I hope I got what you mean - and if I did, I think iFiles will be just the ticket.

Good luck and do let us know if this helps or not.

Marilyn

OP
A

Avestan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much, works like a charm. Simple Solution for a simple problem.

Was caught between Windows Legacy and lack of Apple functionality. (No "Open In" functionality in the Pages / Numbers / Keynote).

Now using Office2HD as word processor / spreadsheet, "Filer" for general file management and "iFile" for sharing via built-in web-server, until one or the other supports user rights or shared and private folders.

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash is great for making copies of SD camera cards in the field! I plan on using my on Safari in Tanzania with a USB charger that uses AA batteries!

It allows writing files to and from iPad without a computer or Internet!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

So glad Mickey was able to help you here.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Most reactions

Latest posts