What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

£485 worth of in app upgrades

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Came down this morning to 7 app store bills from apple to the time of £485 , I immediately thought my account had been hacked and emailed apple .. On speaking to my 8yr old child who has figured out my password he bought the in app upgrades yesterday thinking they were 69p .. I received an acknowledgement from apple they have my email which I send via the express lane. Will apple refund me ? How can I let them know it's a mistake by my son and not a hack ? But the transactions were still unauthorised ...... I am worried sick cos I can't afford £485 I have changed my password and disabled in app upgrades

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mancuk29 said:
Came down this morning to 7 app store bills from apple to the time of £485 , I immediately thought my account had been hacked and emailed apple .. On speaking to my 8yr old child who has figured out my password he bought the in app upgrades yesterday thinking they were 69p .. I received an acknowledgement from apple they have my email which I send via the express lane. Will apple refund me ? How can I let them know it's a mistake by my son and not a hack ? But the transactions were still unauthorised ...... I am worried sick cos I can't afford £485 I have changed my password and disabled in app upgrades

The in app upgrades were 69.99 each !
I thought I had disabled in app upgrades but obviously hadn't

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
In all seriousness, I'd take your young child out for a long drive. A loooong drive. Then let him get out for a quick wonder, then drive off quickly. I don't think he'll pull that stunt in a hurry again ;)

(you can probably tell I don't own kids)

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
(you can probably tell I don't own kids)[/QUOTE]

Yea,you own a dog,not kids.Hehehe

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch, personally I blame the app developers for it because it's a waste of money and they make it too easy to buy. In the uk we have a citizens advice centre are you in the uk? If so go there and get some advice and then pay them off a pound a week, they should be able to assist you by writing to them and explaining the situation and in many cases can write some of the bill off.

Do they have your bank details? Or just your name and address? I would just sack it off and set up a new account, you just bought the device secondhand let them prove it. Or call them up and say the account owner is your 14 year old and they are not old enough to enter the terms and conditions for apples contract, or get billed.

Well it's worth a try anyway if not that's about 485 free car washes from now on :)

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
That can't happen.

Apps and in app purchases are made via Apple and the AppStore. Your client is Apple and not the dev. And besides, it's a credit card payment up front.

But Apple are VERY VERY gracious. Explain the cockup and they'll no doubt refund you. Honest mistake.

My comment about the long drive still stands tho ;)

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another trick is to not have a credit card listed in your account. Just get an iTunes gift card and put a low amount on your account and no one can go over without adding a card or more credit.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Up to Apple, but they've forgiven such charges in past.

Moving onward:

Change your password. It should be something a child (or anyone else) can't figure out.

Restrict in-app purchases: Settings > General > Restrictions > In-App Purchases (toggle to off).

If I had a kid, punishment would be involved. But your kid, your choice, of course.

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have sent a begging email to apple to tell them it was my son .. Put new password on and also locked in app upgrades I PRAY that apple are forgiving and yeh I agree £69.99 for an in app purchase is ridiculous
I'll let you know how I go on

Cheers for all help :(

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just check all the information on the letter and only use links to apple you use normally not the one on the bill incase it's a fake also. If theres an email address on it go through the apple site instead. I've never heard of them sending a bill though so be aware....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you let us know what app suitable for an 8 year old has £70 a pop in app purchases? I'm horrified.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
therealriley said:
Just check all the information on the letter and only use links to apple you use normally not the one on the bill incase it's a fake also. If theres an email address on it go through the apple site instead. I've never heard of them sending a bill though so be aware....

I get an email receipt (bill) for every iTunes purchase I make. I'm pretty sure that is what the OP is referring to.

OP
M

mancuk29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just received an email from apple all charges have been reversed and refunded
But apple have said they won't do it again !

It won't happen again believe me

Apple are the best I am gonna also remove my credit card details from my on line account and buy a gift card !

Phew can relax now

Happy Easter everyone

Most reactions

Latest posts