What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

71% of Android Users Affected by Malware in 2013, Compared to Only 14% for iOS

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
android-ios-malware-620x400.jpg

Philip Schiller is the senior vice president of worldwide marketing at Apple and a prominent figure in Apple’s public presentations. Yesterday, he has tweeted a link to Cisco’s 2014 Annual Security Report which shows that mobile malware is becoming much more present on Android compared to any other platform. The report says the following:

Not all mobile malware is designed to target specific devices, however. Many encounters involve phishing, likejacking, or other social engineering ruses, or forcible redirects to websites other than expected. An analysis of user agents by Cisco TRAC/SIO reveals that Android users, at 71 percent, have the highest encounter rates with all forms of web-delivered malware, followed by Apple iPhone users with 14 percent of all web malware encounters.

According to Cisco’s data, 99% of the web malware targeted Android last year and 71% of Android users came into contact with web-related malware. This number is much lower with iOS users, at only 14%. So, it’s obvious why Schiller has tweeted this. Last year, Schiller tweeted a link to another security report that said 79% of malware targeted Android in 2012. The Cisco report barely mentions Apple, Mac or the iOS platform in its report, which is a good thing and means that Apple manages to protect the security of your iOS devices against malware.

Source: iPhoneForums

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Android users be like: Sacrifices must be made!!!

Has any android users heard of the saying: Better safe than sorry?

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you notice that the figures are 71% of web deliverd malware was for android users and 14% for iOs users. Its not 71% of android users and 14% of iOS users.

What is the ratio of android users to iOS users?

However the 99% figure for targeting Android is alarming.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you notice that the figures are 71% of web deliverd malware was for android users and 14% for iOs users. Its not 71% of android users and 14% of iOS users. What is the ratio of android users to iOS users? However the 99% figure for targeting Android is alarming.

That's scary.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
* The platform has a high number of users
* Users can install any app from any source, including sideloading
* Anyone can create an app to perform any task and have users sideload said app

I'm guessing that Google either doesn't see how dangerous this is, or they don't care. If they don't recognize the inherent danger in such a system, then I wouldn't trust my information to it. If they don't care, well.. you get the picture.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
* The platform has a high number of users
* Users can install any app from any source, including sideloading
* Anyone can create an app to perform any task and have users sideload said app

I'm guessing that Google either doesn't see how dangerous this is, or they don't care. If they don't recognize the inherent danger in such a system, then I wouldn't trust my information to it. If they don't care, well.. you get the picture.

I don't even know why people get android. Even the windows store is becoming better than google play......

Windows is becoming better than android right now. Apple haters say that apples service is bad. But if you look at the fact googles servicrbis the worse.

Sent from my android phone that took me a hour because of the terrible keyboard.....

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my 5+ years with Android on phones and tablets, I have never been affected by any malware after-effects. Since Android doesn't have the same restrictions and control freakishness over its users like iOS does, I'm not surprised that the risk of having malware using Android exists. Both operating systems have pros and cons. I think despite the malware risk, Android gives the user a bit more FREEDOM than what iOS does.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my 5+ years with Android on phones and tablets, I have never been affected by any malware after-effects. Since Android doesn't have the same restrictions and control freakishness over its users like iOS does, I'm not surprised that the risk of having malware using Android exists. Both operating systems have pros and cons. I think despite the malware risk, Android gives the user a bit more FREEDOM than what iOS does.

What is the point of flexibility? So you can hide icons? Pirate apps? Its not important and the "FREEDOM" you are saying is one of the reasons why android is unstable.

Sent from my sucky android phone that took me a hour to finish this reply because of the terrible keyboard.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Freedom? It lets you customize this and that, but that is NOT FREEDOM. And clearly not everyone wants to spend their time freakishly customizing every thing under the sun. By the way, these arguments have been made and heard over and over. This is an iPad forum. There are plenty of other sites where you can repeat over and over what you think the benefits of Android are.

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Freedom? It lets you customize this and that, but that is NOT FREEDOM. And clearly not everyone wants to spend their time freakishly customizing every thing under the sun. By the way, these arguments have been made and heard over and over. This is an iPad forum. There are plenty of other sites where you can repeat over and over what you think the benefits of Android are.

I own both an iPad and an Android device. I didn't realize this was a "how dare you speak about anything else other than Apple!!!" forum. There are benefits to BOTH Android and Apple. Why the heck do I have to swear allegiance to ONE company? If you think Apple is not restrictive, then you're living in a fantasy world. Otherwise, the option to do more with your iPhone wouldn't be labeled as "JAILBREAK".

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you for reminding me of this article. It clearly reminds me of the reaction you'd get if you 'blaspheme' and even mention other blasphemous words such as Samsung or Android. How dare I do such a thing.

Why is there so much hostility within the mobile industry? | PhoneDog

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the point of flexibility? So you can hide icons? Pirate apps? Its not important and the "FREEDOM" you are saying is one of the reasons why android is unstable. Sent from my sucky android phone that took me a hour to finish this reply because of the terrible keyboard.

True !!

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I own both an iPad and an Android device. I didn't realize this was a "how dare you speak about anything else other than Apple!!!" forum. There are benefits to BOTH Android and Apple. Why the heck do I have to swear allegiance to ONE company? If you think Apple is not restrictive, then you're living in a fantasy world. Otherwise, the option to do more with your iPhone wouldn't be labeled as "JAILBREAK".

Well you know. This is a iPad forum. You should expect fanboys here..............

Also being restrictive is great as it will not be unstable. See for example a parent and a kid. If the parent is un-resteictive, the kid would be unstable. In other words, bad, annoying, and can learn bad influence from other people. If the parent is restrictive, the kid would be nice, stable, has good morals and know what is bad and wrong. Thats what iOS.

iOS knows what is good, knows what is best. Apple is the parent, and iOS is the child. Android is a example of a child who's parent doesn't care about it and let it do whatever it wants. Apple is restrictive so users won't have trouble with their devices and to avoid illegal activites. And if they are not restrictive they won't have the high and great amount of devs in the app store.

See the reason between cellphones and smartphones. The main difference is app stores. They are the core of smartphones. They are what makes smartphones what they are. And iOS has the greatest of them all.

Also what benefits? Android is just a burden you carry. As every important app in android can be found in iOS. And iOS does it better.

I agree with AQ_0C. This is a iPad forum. You should expect biased people here. And also customization is the only thing great in android. Well just in android, cause in every genius eyes customization is un-important.

Most reactions

Latest posts