What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Generation Photos App Question

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you’re familiar with the iPad 5th Generation Photos App interface, you’ll get this. It’s about options re: adding a photo from Recents to a photo album.

To do this, as you know, open Recents, tap Select (top right corner of Recents), select the photo you want to add to an Album, then tap (top left hand side of Recents) the box with the upwards arrow. A menu appears. In past times, the menu had less choices. Now, the menu has options like Add to Shared Album, slideshow, copy iCloud link (whatever that means), Save to Files, and more.

As I have been hacked recently, I don’t know if the hacker has added these options, or if an iPadOS added them. Perhaps it’s irrelevant at this point.

I would *like to remove* a lot of these options. All I need is Share to Album. Does anyone know how to remove or add these other menu options? Is it possible??

It’s not an emergency, obviously, but I am very passionate about the way my iPad is set up.

After all, I paid for it!

Thanks, All!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That feature has been added by an iOS/iPadOS update. You can decide which ones you see, though.
When a photo is selected, and you see all of these options, scroll down to this:
E729EEEB-5983-413C-A933-25EC25EA005A.jpeg

Tap it. Then decide which ones to keep/remove/disable.
52E3555A-79A0-410E-B209-3C2FC2D9A86D.jpeg

Hope that helps.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A., I know you’re correct. Thing is, I have followed what you said in your two screenshots above, and although I followed like you said, my iPad does not respond as it should.

- Photos are easily deleted.

- Editing the Photos Recents menu is unresponsive, however. And that’s my concern.

Thank You

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I‘m not quite sure what “unresponsive“ means. What exactly do you experience?
Do you see “Edit Actions“ at all? If you can see it, does it react when you try removing one of the options?

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi J.A., sorry for the late reply! To be as clear as I can, yes, Edit Actions works. Perhaps I’m not familiar enough with the interface (though it looks straightforward). What I see is exactly what’s in your second photo, ‘Actions,’ I’ve never seen the menu in your ‘1 Photo Selected’ photo, though.

To the point, the ‘Actions’ menu is split into 3 sections, Favorites, Photos and Other Actions (I don’t know the reason for that), and menu items are easily moved in and out of Favorites from the other two sections. *But they can’t be deleted,* which is exactly what I want to do with a lot of them.

BTW, if you go to Settings->[Your Name]->iCloud->Photos and open photos, there’s a ‘Shared Albums’ option you can toggle, *but* no options to do that for the other items listed in your ‘Actions’ photo!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Settings - your name - iCloud - Photos shows where images are stored. That’s why you can’t edit the actions for the images there.

The actions for photos are there by default - they appear automatically, and some are features added by Apple. It’s possible to remove them from Favourites by tapping the red - button. They’ll still appear when you select the Share button, though, so you can’t remove them completely.
Some of the options in Other Actions can be hidden by disabling them.
24EEE473-4048-4A39-8B35-4745C45C1D05.jpeg

They depend on your apps and shortcuts installed and set up on the iPad. They also can’t be removed completely, except if you remove the apps or shortcuts they’re referring to.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank You again, J.A.! You are right; I do store my photos in iCloud. And Apple set up these additional actions. I can live with that; having been recently hacked, when something changes on my iPad, I’m concerned to know who did it! iPadOS upgrade or the hacker?

All in all, not a major issue. I did look at ‘Other Actions’ as, to quote you, “Some of the options in Other Actions can be hidden by disabling them.” I saw a toggle on the Save to Files option (which doesn’t hide Save to Files) but no others, so I’m curious as to how they could be hidden and disabled; if you feel like explaining how that’s done, I’ll be interested to know, but as I said, this is no big deal now that I know what’s happened and I accept it as it is, no problem.

J.A., thanks for your reply. :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The toggle next to Save to Files is supposed to hide that feature:
D4A38E66-DD07-4431-B0F1-35C499E0B64A.jpeg

FE7E14E0-7D4E-4A02-B81B-47CDE8A4E779.jpeg

581E7C62-7605-46F1-831F-4F251D1B6E71.jpeg

In my screenshot (previous reply) you can see that a few actions are disabled. Those don’t appear when I tap the Share button.
Those without toggle can’t be hidden, they can be added to Favourites.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A., thanks once again! Now I’m going to see if what you’ve posted works on *my iPad :)

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A., yes, I followed your advice re: Save to Files, it worked just as you said.

I hope I’m not going on too long re: this subject, but I noticed that you said, “Those without toggle can’t be hidden, they can be added to Favourites.”

Yes, I’ve done that (added to favorites) but I don’t know the point in doing so. It didn’t make any difference that I noticed?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When they are in Favourites, you’ll find them at the top of the actions. That’s the only difference.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, well as I said above, it’s not a big deal. Thanks for your reply. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts