What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.8 Gb "others" content on ipad-2

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nammi said:
@leelai & graywolf. :

i tried restoring the ipad from itunes, i selected "restore from back up" instead of "restore as a new ipad" .. .

As soon as it finished and the "summary" screen pop up, it showed the "other" yellow bar indicating 5.8 Gb !!! .. and the ipad has yet to sync back all the apps, photos and audios. ,,

somehow this "other" content still intact even with restoring ... without the jailbreaking

What to do now to reduce this "other" ..?? .. if i try restoring again, but this time as a new ipad, will it make any different ? .... and i will lose all my photos data ..

any thought and suggestion will be highly appreciated ..

@biobunny : noted, thnx

I have exactly the same issue :(. And i'm looking for a solution as well...

i was wondering: could iFiles be used to remove unwanted apps data stored in other?

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Maybe. But you would have to use iFile, not iFiles.

Yep! You're right. Sorry i indeed meant iFile.... I'm JB and I have iFile installed, but I don't know where to look for....

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
nammi said:
@leelai & graywolf. :

i tried restoring the ipad from itunes, i selected "restore from back up" instead of "restore as a new ipad" .. .

As soon as it finished and the "summary" screen pop up, it showed the "other" yellow bar indicating 5.8 Gb !!! .. and the ipad has yet to sync back all the apps, photos and audios. ,,

somehow this "other" content still intact even with restoring ... without the jailbreaking

What to do now to reduce this "other" ..?? .. if i try restoring again, but this time as a new ipad, will it make any different ? .... and i will lose all my photos data ..

any thought and suggestion will be highly appreciated ..

@biobunny : noted, thnx

Are you sure it's not data in emails like graywolf suggested? Also I wonder if Safari cookies and history could be in here too?
Have a look at this link and it will show you the difference between the 2 restores.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-1-forum/59672-fresh-restore-vs-backup-restore.html

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ leelai : i have cleared the history and cookies out of safari .. no significant reduction .., i will try restoring to a new ipad by this weekend .. as i need to save up first my wife's tons of photos and the emails ..

will keep you posted with the result .. thnx

OP
nammi

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@leelai & graywolf .. i did a restore to my wife ipad last night through itunes and selected "restore as a new ipad"... i closed all icloud sync at setting except for "contact" .. Manually reset all email and installed apps one by one not using back up .. ..lastly photos and audios ..

sync the ipad and voila : the yellow bar showed only 0.77 Gb ..

one last note : could it be the icloud setting that made the difference ? .. because the only difference setting with the restore this time was in the icloud, whereas before the restore the icloud setting on the ipad was turned on to sync and all the stock apps were set to "on". ..

anyway, as it stands right now : all is well that ends well .. :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So glad that saga is over for you. I couldn't say if it is iCloud or not here that has made the difference. It's all a learning experience with these issues and little by little we get to see the big picture, well hopefully we do. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some Cydia content can get backed up into iTunes, (mostly what's in that "other" category).
So, it wasn't iCloud, but just the fact that you restored from a backup so that "other" stuff was just put right back on.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some users were reporting probs with "other" before the cloud, so cloud isn't necessarily the cause.

Also reported before the cloud: Restoring helped free a lot of "other" storage for a good number of users.

Most reactions

Latest posts