What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erasing content on Jailbroken iPad 2

SgtP3pp3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so i have 2 iPad 2's. And i want to sell one of them. It is a jailbroken 16 Gb wifi iPad 2 running 4.3.3 with Comex's jailbreak.

But the person who wants to buy it wants it jailbroken. Now, i don't have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 only for 4.3.5

I wanna reset the iPad so he can have a fresh go at it, but, if i do i'm afraid it will unjailbreak it. Is there a cydia tweak or elsewhere that will let me erase all content without taking out the jailbreak? Or is there any other way to do this?

Worse case scenario i'll manually erase things from it :p and hope i get it all

OP
S

SgtP3pp3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i actually had an epiphany... i simply unchecked all syncing tabs on iTunes, and the iPad erased all data on it's own.
i deleted my mail accounts, went and did a reset all network, home screen, location and keyboard dictionary, and unlinked my cydia account... that should pretty much do it. I signed out of my iTunes account, and turned off most extensions from the jB...
i think that's it.

EZ snuff xD

tell me if i missed anything

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that's about it.

Glad you didn't hit "erase all content and settings" in the settings app.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll also need to remove any App Store apps. They don't go with an iPad, they are linked to individual Apple IDs. The buyer will not. E able to upgrade those apps unless you give him/her your Apple ID and password. So, the best thing to do is to delete them. This applies to any Cydia tweaks, also.

I understand the buyer wants the iPad jail broken, so you can't restore it and wipe it out. But, to be on the right side of legalities - you really need to delete all apps and tweaks before it's sold.

Marilyn

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll also need to remove any App Store apps. They don't go with an iPad, they are linked to individual Apple IDs. The buyer will not. E able to upgrade those apps unless you give him/her your Apple ID and password. So, the best thing to do is to delete them. This applies to any Cydia tweaks, also.

I understand the buyer wants the iPad jail broken, so you can't restore it and wipe it out. But, to be on the right side of legalities - you really need to delete all apps and tweaks before it's sold.

Marilyn

Marilyn,
The buyer couldn't update his apps because every time you go to update apps, it asks you for your iTunes account password. :)

But either way, signing out of iTunes is a must.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, gray wolf, I see. My point is that it's best for the seller to remove the apps before giving the iPad to the buyer. It removes any question of an unauthorized user having access to apps he or she did not pay for.

Apps don't go with an iPad when it's sold, period (unless they are the stock ones).

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Marilyn

Could you please clarify the above comment? Just asking . . . not disagreeing or agreeing, just thinking. Are you suggesting that jailbreaking is illegal? Perhaps I am missing your point.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm not suggesting jail breaking is illegal. How can I, given that my iPad is jail broke and I haunt the sites waiting for a jail break for my iPhone 4S. Jail breaking is legal.

What I was saying is that apps that a person buys for their iPad are theirs and are tied to their Apple ID. They are not legally transferable when the iPad is sold. You can't just pass it along. Then, there would be two people using the app when only one person paid for it. Apple only authorizes family members to share apps, per the EULA.

This would also apply to Cydia apps and tweaks as you also buy them with either your Amazon or Gmail account. So, they should be removed also.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll take another stab at it.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can this be done with the 5.0.1 JB?

Hi, queenshawtii and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you!

However, I don't understand your question. if you do the steps outlined in post #2 above and delete all apps and tweaks from the iPad (to include signing out of the iPad), I don't see why this would be any different than the OP's original question.

Is that what you mean?

Marilyn

queenshawtii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I've lurked around for a bit, I finally got an account. :) I got it! My Ipad is my only iOS device and I rarely sync my Ipad with itunes. (i use dropbox alot!) So I didn't realize that you can check/uncheck categories of things that you want to stay on/off your Ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts