What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.1 killing battery in ipad 2

ajcamlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since updated to 5.1, I watched my battery use plummet from 8-10 hours down to about 2-3 tops! This happened instantly after upgrading. It now takes about 6-8 hours to charge the device. I can literally watch the battery drain away like an hourglass. Very disappointed.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd try draining the battery and charging to 100 percent again. Would try resetting as well.

This prob seems limited among upgraders, so I'd do troubleshooting rather than freak out. Then if that doesn't work, you're still covered under warranty.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A rapidly draining battery following an IOS upgrade process is usually a sign that a corruption or rogue setting on your device is causing a panic. The best way to resolve this is normally to back-up, do a clean restore of 5.1 to the device, and then restore your data via iTunes or iCloud (whichever you are using).
If the problem persists after that, the issue may lie with data in your backup, so you may need to consider a fresh restore and start again from scratch.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine seems about the same as before upgrade to 5.1 last weekend. Can use it virtually all day and recharge overnight.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A rapidly draining battery following an IOS upgrade process is usually a sign that a corruption or rogue setting on your device is causing a panic. The best way to resolve this is normally to back-up, do a clean restore of 5.1 to the device, and then restore your data via iTunes or iCloud (whichever you are using).
If the problem persists after that, the issue may lie with data in your backup, so you may need to consider a fresh restore and start again from scratch.

Thanks for that. I've wondered about some of he possible causes. From what you are saying it might be worth trying a Reset All Settings first.

This seems to have worked for some problems people had after updating to 5.01. Unlike a restore, it does not affect your data or account settings.

It's also a good idea to check to make sure your screen brightness setting isn't maxed. That will eat batteries the way the cookie monster goes at cookies.

Most reactions

Latest posts