What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G networks

Lulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to this just got me a iPad with 3G so I need a chip for the Internet which 1should I get
And if I jail break can I use my chip out of my iPhone 4?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
you need a micro-sim for the internet, which is provided from the service providers for free. which to get? well thats the question aint it. different peeps will give you different advises. personally, i'd like to know who provides best 3g service for the Stoke on Trent area.

and no, i'm positive your iphone 4 sim wont fit.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you need a micro-sim for the internet, which is provided from the service providers for free. which to get? well thats the question aint it. different peeps will give you different advises. personally, i'd like to know who provides best 3g service for the Stoke on Trent area.

and no, i'm positive your iphone 4 sim wont fit.

It might be useful to check out the service from '3' - they *only* have a 3G licence so they have no 2G basestations at all. So, from a user's perspective, there's no EDGE or GPRS. I live in rural Scotland and their coverage here is great. You can get an 'all you can eat' (unlimited) microSIM from them too.

I'm interested why the iPhone4 SIM won't fit in the iPad. I'm probably wrong (that's usually the case with me!), but I thought the iPhone4 had a microSIM too, so is there some other reason?

Tim
Scotland

Tomo1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
It might be useful to check out the service from '3' - they *only* have a 3G licence so they have no 2G basestations at all. So, from a user's perspective, there's no EDGE or GPRS. I live in rural Scotland and their coverage here is great. You can get an 'all you can eat' (unlimited) microSIM from them too.

I'm interested why the iPhone4 SIM won't fit in the iPad. I'm probably wrong (that's usually the case with me!), but I thought the iPhone4 had a microSIM too, so is there some other reason?

Tim
Scotland

Not quite right... Three have a roaming agreement with Orange, and so if there is no 3G data coverage I believe that you will use Orange GPRS signal (but not EDGE). Clarify this though with three.

Personally, I find three coverage in the major towns and cities to be pretty good. My dad lives in Stoke and so can say coverage around there is good.

Get a payg sim first to see if it's ok where you need it to be before signing up

S.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

Not quite right... Three have a roaming agreement with Orange, and so if there is no 3G data coverage I believe that you will use Orange GPRS signal (but not EDGE). Clarify this though with three.

Personally, I find three coverage in the major towns and cities to be pretty good. My dad lives in Stoke and so can say coverage around there is good.

Get a payg sim first to see if it's ok where you need it to be before signing up

S.

Yes - mia culpa - Tim slips up again - it's becoming a very bad habit - forgot about that roaming agreement. .. many thanks for clarifying that...I am an Orange customer too, so I should know this stuff....

Again - thanks - good advice, too, about the PAYG SIM....

Off to do penance...

Tim
Scotland - am I going crazy??? The sun is 'shining'..there's no wind, rain, ice, snow, mist, driving gales...

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com

awesome. even though i live and work in cardiff my head office is in Stoke, and thats where i'll need 3g.

3 - i'll try that one then :)

but then, if i dont like it i can always try another provider without financial loss

OP
L

Lulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about if jail broke will that unlock it to take your iPhone 4 chip

Most reactions

Latest posts