What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G Network

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the unlimited 3G for a month to check out my new IPAD. I went to cancel my automatic renewal because I only wanted to use it when I am on vacation away from WIFI and I got a red warning saying that if I cancel this service I will not be allowed to get it again.

What is up with that? Anybody else had this happen?

OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, I just noticed the Ipad Carriers section.......could one of you fine Moderators move this down there for me please? Thanks!!

ASunners

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is because unlimited data is no longer available. You should be able to sign up again for 250M or 2G, but not unlimited.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T no longer offers unlimited plans for the iPad. The only way to keep the plan is if you never cancel it, even for a month. Basically AT&T and Apple falsely advertised the device as having unlimited 3g for $30 a month AND being able to go month to month. Then after a ton of people bought their iPads, they remove the unlimited 3g altogether and the only way to keep it is to sacrifice the "month to month" option of the iPad and continue to pay every single month to grandfather in the $30 a month unlimited plan you have already.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes, ATT no longer offers unlimited data plan for the ipad. If you alread have it you can keep the plan as long as you continue paying for it. If you ever cancel your data service the next time you go to sign up agian you will only get the two plans att is currently offering.

$15 for 250MB
$25 for 2GB

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it was classic bate n' switch tactics..... It goes like this

Apple to AT&T - You give everyone we sell a 3G iPad a hot screaming data plan and we'll guarantee you 1.5 million hookups in 90 days..And to top it off we'll make sure you are sole data provider for one year. After 90 days you do as you please with your brand new data customers. We'll support ya.

AT&T to Apple - You got a deal Apple, we'll give those customers a screaming deal, get em locked into a hot data plan then we'll stick it too em. We are experts at this, we know how to trick customers cause we do it all the time so you let us control the data side. You just sit back, and dont worry...

There you have it folks!!.... Just my prospective :D:D

Last edited:
OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice!!! Crooks.

So now how do I know what I can do with 250 MB or 2 Gig of data a month? All I do is surf the web a bit and do emails.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Settings under General, the second option called usage tells you how much data is moving through when you use 3G. For me, a typical full day of surfing would average from 30to50 megabytes. Try to avoid youtubes as much as possible, they're atrocious on 3G anyway.

Oh! Don't forget to reset the counter every month...

Last edited:
OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A heavy day of surfing for me would be 2-3 hours. Maybe 4 but I doubt it. Wonder if I could get by with the 250 meg. plan?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 hours a day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month is 40 hours of browsing minimum.

250 MB / 40 = 6.25 MB an hour. According to Web Site Optimization: Speed Up Your Site website optimization web speed optimize web site performance company, ipadforums.net frontpage is around 625KB, while the first page of this thread is 323KB.

So for example, if you followed the structure of this website, and went to the main page, then iPad Forums, then General Discussion, then clicked on this thread, you would use 1.7MB of data.

So yea, the 250MB plan is pretty worthless.

Most reactions