What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

32gb ipad 4? is it possible to add micro cards for extra storage?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good Day buerkletucson
Very nice to hear from you,Yep it would have being a help if they had offered at least a card slot?or as you say a 128GB

regards Steve
:(

Apple doesn't do slots as they add complexity and complexity is the enemy of a highly optimized and buttery smooth OS. Frankly, I think apple has gotten this part right; all of my android tablets suffer as a result of trying to support these complex feature sets.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)
AQ_OC That is very positive news I am so pleased.So as it stands I can still opt for the 64GB model and AIR Stream and I am set to go?It needs to be as simple as possible,due to my worsening health which is affecting my limited abilities to follow instruction due to a terrible confusion,I do not write this to solicit sympathy ,only to let folk know that I do have limited abilities,which I must take into account.

So my final questions relating to the Air-Stream I will only be using the IPAD (No phone,No laptop) Just the IPAD4 does this alter anything?

Whilst I am at home or in care? i can recharge via mains USB charger? (is this correct)

I can Save Music/Docs/Photo`s e.t.c. from IPAD4 to the Cards on the AIR STREAM?

Can I just use SDHC cards or is it possible to use the MICRO SDHC cards?(I like the micro cards)

Do I still require the Apple Camera Kit?

If there is anything else you feel maybe of use to me(improving,helping,useful) ADD-ON`s e.t.c. please let me know..I am looking at a lean,mean fighting machine with not to complex application.

I have read the superb thread by Gabriel RE ClOUD FTP e.t.c. but no matter how hard I tried toi understand it`s benefits and usage I could not,but I saw how excited some members were by the use of this method.

Once Again many Thanks

Best Wishes Steve

Yes, you can stream movies and music, and save read other types of files. As I recall, it needs a fat32 format and fat32 limits file sizes to 4gb. Actually, I need to check on if it really needs fat32 or not. I know it doesn't like exfat. Memory fades after a while. And I could have sworn I had saved an 8gb file to one of my sd cards. When I travel, I carry this and a little holder for 4 sd cards. I have one 128 GB card and three other 32 GB cards. It can stream for hours on all of my devices, including laptops. And I can either plug the device into a USB port or take the card out and plug it into and sd slot to get files on or off. It is super light and can be charged on a standard charger with a USB port. It is an extremely flexible device, IMO.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

What I have found is that some SD cards come pre-formatted with exfat, and air stash does not like that. So you need a computer to reformat the card. So this is something you will need to watch out for and have a means to deal with.

No problems with iPad 4, it is an iPad, and works like all of the iPads (which is a joy because on android every tablet has a different set of features from one to the next).

Yes, any charge that has a USB port and is powered can charge it. So you can put this in a charger in your car to keep it charged, while others can stream movies or shows from it.

Yes, you can use micro-sd cards if you have the adapter. The air stash+ is designed to hold SD cards. Several of my cards are micro-SD cards but they all come with adapters that I put them in.

I have a camera connection kit but I never use the thing. I don't see why you would need both.

Yes, you can save photos, docs, and other stuff to the air stash. Apps like GoodReader, pages, keynote, etc, can read and write files to/from the air stash.

So, this remaining issue is the format of the card when you buy it. I got a new one not long ago and it had this exfat format. I had to reformat it, so this could be a problem for you. I'm not sure at the moment why it came formatted like this...this was a 64gb card, so that may be the reason. So you have no other means to format the SDCard? I think we need to look into this a little more before you spend your money. I will see what I can find out about this...and maybe someone else can jump in with an answer for this.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
Really do thank you very much indeed,for your help and patience.
I am using my Dell at present not sure how long this laptop will keep going before it gives out on me..but ok at moment.So if I can find a way to re-format some CARDS that would be great also I can ask others to help?

look forward to hearing from you,all the other answers make me very happy...

all the best Steve:D

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

My laptops never give out on me....I usually move on well before they quit working. I guess if you drop it or somehow damage it then you
have an issue. Otherwise, it is not a problem.

I think it is challenging to get along only with an iPad. I'm not sure apple has designed them to function in isolation. You might want
to finds ways to keep a traditional laptop in your environment just for those times.

Im

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

My laptops never give out on me....I usually move on well before they quit working. I guess if you drop it or somehow damage it then you
have an issue. Otherwise, it is not a problem.

I think it is challenging to get along only with an iPad. I'm not sure apple has designed them to function in isolation. You might want
to finds ways to keep a traditional laptop in your environment just for those times.

Im

Trying to just use the iPad to 100% replace your computer is going to be a tough act. Even with my blue tooth keyboard there are many items that just are not easy as using my computer. I feel both the iPads and your computer have their own special uses.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
runningbear29 said:
You have lost me. What are you trying to tell us? Are you thinking about iPad storage sizes or are you thinking about computer hard drives?

Talking about some background on formatting SD cards for the Air Stash. Try looking back to the previous page for the thread.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Morning AQ_OC
Many thanks once again for all the imformation..really helps I can tell you.
afraid due to my situation if I go for the IPAD4 then that will be it,I will not be able to have another laptop as well?I was going to give this laptop to my brother in law to see if he could make anything of it!Everything that is important to me is on files stored on this laptop and also external hardrive (seagate)add to this surfing the net and thats it really.OH yes I sometimes actually write and print letters.

Will these other types of cards work like sxdh (hope I have got that the right way around?

Look forward to hearing further from you

best wishes Steve:)

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Dear Friends
Thank you for hanging in there,I must be a real pain in the butt
:eek:

HyperDrive Hard Drive for iPad (320GB version)

How about this ?how does it compare to the airstash? pros & Cons that uses FAT File system

In answer to using Ipad4 only and no laptop? this is a well made point by several contributors,can you guys give me a lean alternative that does not cost the earth?

many thank Steve
:confused:

Hue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cause the camera connection kit to copy movies from external sd cards.
But only if you stick them in a dcim folder and use the name conventions like digital cameras do for naming their recorded videos.

OP
N

norskipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Hue

many thanks for your reply,was hoping to be able to keep it simple if at all possible?my interest is more music than Videos although not totally

cheers Steve

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just figured out how to use my USB storage device (2tb) as an extra storage device for our 2 household ipads.
Plugged it into the USB port on my BT Homehub 3 and then configured, mapped drive etc...
Then downloaded 'FileBrowser' from the app store at £2.99 if i remember rightly and installed on both ipads. Then after starting the app it found the usb drive after a few seconds and we were then able to browse photo's, music, films etc...
What an app!
So now my wife's ipad 2 32gb and my ipad 4 16gb can access all we need to.
I'm sure this would work with any router with a USB port free but check first as I am not liable for any purchases that don't work out.
Anyone else tried this?

Most reactions