What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thunderbolt ports likely to be embedded next to iPad and iPhone

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thunderbolt_apple_logo.jpg

Some of the first good news for 2012 are starting to emerge. Apple has apparently filed three Thunderbolt related patents. The applications have been published by USPTO this week and prompted some voices to say that this is a clear indicator that Apple is going to be bringing Thunderbolt to iOS devices.

"The present invention, connection may also be a new type of connection," Apple's official patent filing sais. "A connection may be provided between a portable media player and a display, a computer and a portable media player, or between other types of devices."

If your not exactly sure what Thunderbolt is, well it’s a team effort between Apple and Intel with the purpose of allowing high-resolution displays or high-performance devices to be connected through a single port. Thunderbolt has been so far available for the MacBook Pro, iMac and Mac Mini. Relocating it to the iPhones and iPads would mean faster data transfers and faster charging.

You might be wondering about the potential uses that Thunderbolt would bring on iDevices. Well, imagine transforming your tablet display into a second screen that works perfectly in tandem when connected to a MacBook Pro or Air.

The three patents demonstrate very well how the Thunderbolt technology can be included in iDevices in order to increase the speed of data transfer especially. What’s currently unclear is whether the new ports will replace Apple’s 30-pin port or have a place on its own. Time will tell.

(Source: VentureBeat)

rima01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i have two I pad that's iPad 2 & iPad 3 so now I have I pad 2 with which I can use sim card for Internet the problem is in I pad 3 it's like I can just use wifi now i want to make my I pad 2 as a router so how to go ?

Stormborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This would be an amazing upgrade in the charging speed and especially transfer rate of data on the iPad and iOS devices. Awesome!

Most reactions