What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

250 iPads being set up in Minneapolis International Airport restaurants

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ipad-delta-airport-restaurants.jpeg

The iPad has been implemented in the some of the most diverse sectors of human activities. The Apple tablet now serves in schools, hospitals and government facilities and has recently added another field – airport restaurants.

Delta Air Lines just announced it will implement more than 250 iPads in three of its newly opened restaurants located in the Minneapolis-St.Paul International Airport’s Concourse G. Hungry travelers can enjoy the enhanced restaurant services at Concourse G’s MinniBar, Mimosa and Shoyu. The tablets will help customers receive their orders in 15 minutes or less. This is the second location after New York’s LaGuardia Airport that has been graced by the presence of such technology in the gourmet department.

"Delta is following through on our commitment to invest in our Minneapolis-St. Paul hub by improving the airport experience with these truly unique amenities. These enhancements on the ground coupled with our in-flight investments such as installing full flatbed seats in BusinessElite and Wi-Fi on more than 800 aircraft, make for a unique traveling experience on Delta that no other carrier can match,†explained Bill Lentsch, Delta's senior vice president – Minnesota Operations. "

The iPads are implemented in the airport via a partnership with OTG – a company that sells airport food and beverages. The tablets facilitate the ordering process and while waiting customers can log in via Twitter or Facebook to check in. The iPads also offer some entertainment for those stranded in airports. Diners at the above mentioned restaurants can also check their flight status, watch videos or play some games.

By Radu

Source: Delta deploying 4500 Apple iPads at US airport restaurants

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't use my login on any public device or wifi network. Those are good ways to expose yourself to possible account hijacking.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I wouldn't use my login on any public device or wifi network. Those are good ways to expose yourself to possible account hijacking.

Agree

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's nice to see companies like Delta reaching out to the public with real usable technology like this.

I was in a restaurant in Hong Kong that used iPads for ordering and it was brilliant. They were on every table and presented very nice pictures along with both overview and detailed descriptions of the dishes not practical on printed menus - right down to how the dish was cooked.

The order total was available in several different currencies.

The only thing missing was a way to pay online.

Ordering for a group of 8 was fast, error free and fun.

It even included a tracking feature so we could tell when the food was going to arrive!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree so wouldn't the solution be to come up with another Apple ID that you wouldn't use personally?

And 1 question how do you keep kids dirty hands from mucking up the pad or worse throw food at it lol.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree so wouldn't the solution be to come up with another Apple ID that you wouldn't use personally?

And 1 question how do you keep kids dirty hands from mucking up the pad or worse throw food at it lol.

There's no reason you couldn't do generic Web surfing or use some apps on a public machine, including ones they create for travelers. I just wouldn't log on to any accounts -- social network or otherwise on a public device.

The fingerprint factor is a big turnoff for me. iPads show fingerprints like crazy under fluorescent lighting and the idea of a screenful of strangers smudgy fingerprints all over the screen grosses me out. But I admit I am OCD about that kind of thing, so I wouldn't use a public iPad.

The Minneapolis airport is a nice one, though, and it's no surprise that they'd offer such amenities. If I remember right, it's the airport with lots of rocking chairs all around for travelers to enjoy.

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree with you but I am sure they have thought of that and they probably use private/secure wifi networks to host the ipads

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you but I am sure they have thought of that and they probably use private/secure wifi networks to host the ipads

Up to each user, of course, but I don't use wifi connections unless I know what kind of security it's got and who else is on the network.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are certainly people who are paranoid of public wifi networks, but for most of us the local Starbucks provides an adequate wifi connection to safely update Facebook without fear of being hacked...

Public wifi networks are only going to increase in density.

To not connect to a public wifi network because you don't know everyone else who might be connected is just paranoia.

I applaud companies like Delta who are spending large amounts of money to bring accessible technology to large numbers of people.

Hacking wifi connections at public hotspots is an extremely rare occurrence. You are much more likely to fall for a phishing scam or have your weak password guessed than you are to be hacked in this way.

How many of you use the same username and password for all your Internet forums and shopping websites. Do these places store your info unencrypted in their database? Do they offer you a retrieval option for your password? If so, you have already given your username and password to people you don't know... Poor password management is the leading cause of hacked accounts.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are certainly people who are paranoid of public wifi networks, but for most of us the local Starbucks provides an adequate wifi connection to safely update Facebook without fear of being hacked...

To not connect to a public wifi network because you don't know everyone else who might be connected is just paranoia.

I applaud companies like Delta who are spending large amounts of money to bring accessible technology to large numbers of people.

Hacking wifi connections at public hotspots is an extremely rare occurrence. You are much more likely to fall for a phishing scam or have your weak password guessed than you are to be hacked in this way.

How many of you use the same username and password for all your Internet forums and shopping websites. Do these places store your info unencrypted in their database? Do they offer you a retrieval option for your password? If so, you have already given your username and password to people you don't know... Poor password management is the leading cause of hacked accounts.

I can understand the concerns that people like Kay have. These days you can't be too careful but you do make a valid point.

I don't see the difference than going to your local college's library(or where ever they have personal computers set up)logging into you account and logging off. But those concerns of security issues are still valid points.

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Up to each user, of course, but I don't use wifi connections unless I know what kind of security it's got and who else is on the network.

I have no problem using public wifi but I make it a point to never type in any passwords for anything such as online banking, though it could be worth asking them at the air port and checking what kind of security they would use.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just make sure your web login connections are https and all your mail settings use SSL and your login information is going to be safe.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There are risks inherent on going online. It's up to each individual to take precautions or risks. Usually people take these risks out of ignorance:

Users don't understand public Wi-Fi risks | ZDNet

Most reactions