What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1TB HDD on iPad2 - step by step guide - Camera Connection Kit

nebunuloko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NO TERMINAL NEEDED
NO OTHER DEVICE NEEDED BESIDES THE HDD AND THE iPAD

After searching for a couple of months a solution to attach a HDD through the Camera Connection Kit on the iPad. I finally found the solution this evening. After I've properly tested that i can copy/paste/delete/reboot/respiring/etc .. i decided to share this info with you guys as well.

OK, no furthermore stories... lets get to the point

I've used a 1TB USB 2.0 GoFlex HDD to achieve this. But this can be done with any other HDD around there.
My guide will be though for the Seagate one.

requirements:

- 1x 1TB USB 2.0 GoFlex HDD
- 1x Y (split) USB cable for powering the HDD externally as the iPad doesn't have enough power to make it spin :p
- 1x iPad charger
- 1x Camera Connection Kit
- 1x iPad jailbroken
- 1x iFile installed
- 1x USB Toggle installed from Cydia and also a Paypal donation in order to make use of the full version
- 1x SBSettings installed

1) Format your HDD as FAT32 and also make the partition bootable.

The iPad can only read HFS or FAT32 file systems. And your 1TB HDD will most def be a NTFS format.
In order to format in the FAT32 file system this Seagate model i had to use Seagate Disk Wizard on a windows laptop.
(more info can be found here : http://tinyurl.com/3kkbxba )
It's VERY important that you format the HDD both FAT32 and bootable (LBA)

2) Make sure you have SBSettings, iFile and USB Toggle installed from cydia. If you don't have them installed, my advice will be to buy them. iFile is 4$ and can be bought at 2$ if you already bought Safari Download Manager. And USB Toggle only asks for a donation, so please try and give the guy at least 2$ as pay pal's getting some money from this as well. And SBSettings is free.

Once you have a FAT32 HDD drive now on your hands, connect it with the Y (split) USB cable to both the iPad charger and iPad Camera Connection Kit.
Then swipe your fingers on the top screen of your device to activate SBS and hit USB Toggle. The USB Toggle should stay switched on when it works.
And now check your new HDD on iFile..

Maybe you use also OPlayer as your video player. If so, then you can also make your life easier by making a shortcut using iFile inside the documents of OPlayer to the USB Stick. Then you just need to plug the HDD, hit the USB Toggle and launch OPlayer to enjoy your 1/2/3TB of videos.straight from the HDD. And it's speedy as hell in this manner !!!

k. . . . well that's about it.
for any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Job Done! :)

i hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and that i was coherent in what i wrote above, as i wrote this after a full/**** day of work.

Last edited:

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You lost me at Jailbroken iPad. You really aren't connecting a hard drive to an iPad at all you are connecting to a MODIFIED iPad.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You lost me at Jailbroken iPad. You really aren't connecting a hard drive to an iPad at all you are connecting to a MODIFIED iPad.

What are you talking about? He most certainly is connecting to an iPad.
And how would he lose you a jailbroken iPad?

silkjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it sounds like you have to be next to an outlet for this to work, right?

ipadnuby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice thanks for the tutorial but next time please check your spelling, charfer too me for a bit of a ride, LOL.

OP
N

nebunuloko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silkjones said:
So it sounds like you have to be next to an outlet for this to work, right?

Well yes, as the iPad doesn't have enough juice to power an external drive.

OP
N

nebunuloko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:

Dude ... Get a life outside your head!

OP
N

nebunuloko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadnuby said:
Nice thanks for the tutorial but next time please check your spelling, charfer too me for a bit of a ride, LOL.

;)
Yep, I've eaten some letters there&there :))

Last edited:

Danfozzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone had any joy with this in ios 5 with the new jailbreak on the iPad 2?

How can I format my drive to fat32 LBA? I'm struggling with adding the lba to the format?

Danfozzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone got a hard drive to mount in iOS 5?

Just seen this post on how to get an external hdd on the iPad2, just wondering if u have updated to ios 5 with the new jailbreak, it still working?
I'm just waiting on my split y USB cable as I only have a powered hub, using that doesn't seem to work

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Danfozzy said:
Just seen this post on how to get an external hdd on the iPad2, just wondering if u have updated to ios 5 with the new jailbreak, it still working?
I'm just waiting on my split y USB cable as I only have a powered hub, using that doesn't seem to work

Yes, it still works on 5.0.1 via iFile, provided your drive has sufficient external power.

Danfozzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet, got a feeling it must be my USB hub that's not playing, gonna wait on my split y cable!

Can I ask how you formatted for hdd just so I can rule that out?

Most reactions

Latest posts