What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 or 32

steve1204

iPF Noob
Reaction score
which version should I get 32gb or 16gb...is the extra 100.00 worth the extra space if the ipad is basically just a expensive gadget to play around with. Plan on using it for refence videos while using laptop to run 3ds max and after effects and computer animation programs. Also use it to reference pictures when I am drawing portraits. I do plan on general surfing and playing cool apps while being a couch potato, :)

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
which version should I get 32gb or 16gb...is the extra 100.00 worth the extra space if the ipad is basically just a expensive gadget to play around with. Plan on using it for refence videos while using laptop to run 3ds max and after effects and computer animation programs. Also use it to reference pictures when I am drawing portraits. I do plan on general surfing and playing cool apps while being a couch potato, :)

I say 16 gb because all your music, video, and files can be accessed from your computer by an app called ZumoCast. Why have additional space you don't need?

If you're going to get Data with it then you might need the extra space.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of that streaming assumes you either always use the iPad at home or have very good bandwidth from your ISP. I have the 64GB model and am closing in on filling it recently. Get as much as you can afford. You can't upgrade the storage on the iPad.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Steve!

If you can afford get the 64 Wifi, 3G. I did. Never looked back. I will never use all that it offers, but I wanted it all. I needed to be certain I could access cyber space out in the field on a dime.

And I know me. I am so fickle. If I had gotten any other model I would be exchanging it.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to ask yourself this question. Will I be using it mainly at home or do I travel a lot?
If you travel and want to use it out and about go for the larger size. Staying at home you can get away with the smaller model and as Wrecklass says just stream from your main machine.

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would choose 32gb more memory the better, myself went for the 64gb. Also 3D Studio Max is a great program for animations I have used it several times.

hdunnigan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Always buy more if you can

I figure the iPad will be like all other computer and gadgets, which is, once you get the hang of it, you start to fill it up more quickly than you would expect. This goes double if you have kids who use it even occassionally. Go for 32 if you can. :)

OP
S

steve1204

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice...I am leaning toward 32. Anyone know of Best Buy planning a black friday ipad special by chance?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I run with the thought of "Buy the best you can afford." Everyone can afford different levels, so it is really an open ended statement. I was able to afford the 64g 3G. I wanted as much storage as I could get and 3G was a "must have" even if I don't use it every day (although I do).

"Buy the best you can afford." works for nearly anything you wish to buy and you wish to last.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Buy the best you can afford." works for nearly anything you wish to buy and you wish to last.

Especially on a device that cannot be upgraded. Consider what you might do one and two years out if you keep the device.

OP
S

steve1204

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok thanks, I wont expect black friday deals so I will wait closer to Christmas.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple devices almost never go on sale. Apple controls the price very strictly. I remember after the Mac Mini had been out for awhile and one local store had a "Special price." It was 494.99 instead of the usual 499.99!

True story. :)

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know of Best Buy planning a black friday ipad special by chance?

Very doubtful. You'll see a ton of specials on computers because there's so many PC makers. Apple being the creator/distributor of the IPAD means they control the pricing 100%. At best, you'll see some discounted accessories.

As you can see in my sig, I opted for the 32. I think the 16 isn't enough, and I doubt I'd need 64 gigs before I upgrade a year or 2 from now.

Most reactions

Latest posts