What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

128 GB iPad Available From Today

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how far away we are from unlimited (cloud) storage capability which will eliminate the issues that some of us face. Just a thought.

I'm not using all the cloud storage that's available to me, so this isn't something I'm waiting for.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how far away we are from unlimited (cloud) storage capability which will eliminate the issues that some of us face. Just a thought.

I'm sure Apple would love to have us all use cloud storage for all our storage needs, for a fee of course, it could become an important revenue stream for Apple and other companies if we stored most of our info in the cloud.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure Apple would love to have us all use cloud storage for all our storage needs, for a fee of course, it could become an important revenue stream for Apple and other companies if we stored most of our info in the cloud.

In that sense, storage is already available -- it's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay. Even if you scrounge around, you can cobble together a lot of free storage now. But "unlimited" storage will continue to cost a pretty penny -- data centers are expensive to build, maintain and upgrade, and security threats will increasingly cost companies money to defend. There's also need for protection from natural and manmade disasters, and a need for redundancy if everything's in the cloud. Many things could turn disastrous if they lived only in the cloud and suddenly we couldn't access them. I don't mean we'll die if our music gets stranded, lol. I mean like if hospital records are in the cloud and something like Superstorm Sandy or a hacking attack kept vital info from being accessed quickly.

Amazon already makes buckets of money on storage now; it serves many companies and their customers.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not that much difference and with the side bands matching that of the mini, it will make more use of the screen. Maybe it's all about the weight of it....can't wait to see though what we do get.

Well have to see about that. If they make the bezel too small than it will be a bad thing. I don't wanna trade a slightly larger screen for handling issues due to a tiny bezel!

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I phrased it wrong. Here's what I want; the ability to have as many movies and music as I want and it not effect the storage on my device. Currently I use providers such as; Ultraviolet, Flixster and there's another one whose name escapes me. My only problem with these options is when I don't have Internet access its close to impossible to watch a movie without all the lags and buffering issues.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me, too. I like to see gadgets debut from all sorts of manufacturers, whether or not I buy them. I like to see advances, and I like the possibility that something new and cool will emerge.

I have become hooked on reading Mac Life, Cult of Mac, CNET and also PC World! I am fascinated by all these new gadgets coming out lately!!:)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I phrased it wrong. Here's what I want; the ability to have as many movies and music as I want and it not effect the storage on my device. Currently I use providers such as; Ultraviolet, Flixster and there's another one whose name escapes me. My only problem with these options is when I don't have Internet access its close to impossible to watch a movie without all the lags and buffering issues.

This problem is already solved.... you can get a portable wifi drive.

BTW, box.net is/was, giving away for FREE, 50 GB of cloud.

The cloud, IMO, is a mixed bag. I'm glad to have it on the one hand, since it makes my files available to me at home, work, or anywhere. A huge convenience. On the other hand, letting your stuff be on someone else's computer is a bit creepy. I'm always wondering if -- down the road -- something will pop up out of nowhere to bite me on the b... Frankly, everything about the internet is this way. We get a lot of stuff free, but at what long-term cost?

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The other day I was sorting through some of my moms things and came across some photos from long, long ago.it occurred to me that my kids will never have these happy accidents if I continue to keep all my family photos in the cloud. I love keeping it all accessible on my iPad, dont even mind paying the extra for cloud storage, but I'm old I should come up with a solution.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth

The cloud, IMO, is a mixed bag. I'm glad to have it on the one hand, since it makes my files available to me at home, work, or anywhere. A huge convenience. On the other hand, letting your stuff be on someone else's computer is a bit creepy. I'm always wondering if -- down the road -- something will pop up out of nowhere to bite me on the b... Frankly, everything about the internet is this way. We get a lot of stuff free, but at what long-term cost?

You have good reason to be concerned AQ.

Consider the insidious effects of 21st century banking / billing.

Banks used to pay YOU, to keep your money because they were earning money off your deposits. Now you pay the banks for storage and transactions.
They claim there are administrative costs to electronic banking. Well that's called overhead and it's the cost of doing business. And today that cost has been greatly reduced by automation at the expense of jobs.

Similarly, phone and utility companies are charging you (paper billing fee of $2 in Canada) to advise you that you owe them money.

This post is off topic but hopefully it illustrates a point about the costs of storage. The "cloud" further separates you the owner, from possession of your stuff.
And, you're paying for it.

AA

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree. That's part of the reason I have limited stuff in the cloud.

My company had a team of techies and lawyers explore various cloud storage and they came to the conclusion that we shouldn't use any of them, partly because of security risks and possible legal exposure. They issued instructions for everything to be removed from the cloud, because some parts of the company had started using cloud storage.

Personally, I've lots of cloud storage, because I sign up for all the freebies I think possibly viable. I use limited amounts, though, because I put in the cloud only what I wouldn't mind being exposed if my accounts were breached.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As AQ noted, there's already a possibility for you. There are various makers of such devices.

Even if you had unlimited cloud storage now, you'd still have to have a reliable online connection, and streaming lots of data isn't always feasible.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other day I was sorting through some of my moms things and came across some photos from long, long ago.it occurred to me that my kids will never have these happy accidents if I continue to keep all my family photos in the cloud. I love keeping it all accessible on my iPad, dont even mind paying the extra for cloud storage, but I'm old I should come up with a solution.

Well that's easy. Give your kids access to your photo accounts and/or have photos printed out, which doesn't preclude cloud use. You could back up photos to your system, too, and leave instructions in case of death.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As AQ noted, there's already a possibility for you. There are various makers of such devices.

Even if you had unlimited cloud storage now, you'd still have to have a reliable online connection, and streaming lots of data isn't always feasible.

I think we'll eventually wind up with a hybrid solution: really vital/frequently accessed data on wearable devices (thumb drives, SD cards, etc) and personal clouds: basically people accessing external drives at home via internet, rather than relying on someone else for cloud service. It requires a static IP address in most cases, but the fee's nominal (I think my ISP is $4/month) but it means I've got my own 2TB cloud, in addition to the 128GB card in my AirStash (which, tbh, is mostly videos and photos). Most personal cloud set-ups now come with Android/iOS apps to make them tablet/phone friendly as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts