What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$100 Replacement Coverage

bap11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone been considering purchasing the $100 IPAD replacement coverage in the event the battery fails to hold or take a charge? As we all know, the battery is not removeable, so if it goes, so goes the IPAD. I believe the coverage is only for a year, and does not warranty the IPAD in any way other than the battery. I know I'll be asked if I want the coverage when I pick up the IPAD at the store on 4/3, and am kind of torn as to whether to get it for my 32g machine. What do you folks think?

Here's another question: besides probably a case, what accessories are you planning on buying with your IPAD? What with the $600 for the unit, then the $100 coverage, the case plus the accessories, this baby is getting kinda expensive for a 1st generation product which may or may not be replaced with a better 2nd generation unit. But, I just gotta have one - not willing to wait a year for the upgrade, if there is one.

Zane Barker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are referring to buying Apple Care for the iPad, I would definitely get it. Apple Care covers basically anything other then physical or liquid damage for the duration of the Apple Care.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been one to take my chances with extended warranty :) So far, I've been lucky and things have always worked in my favor.

I've held off on purchasing any accessories up front. I'm waiting to see what after market support the iPad receives.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
like i said in another thread...hold off on apple care until you can get it on amazon for cheap.

iRichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
battery replacement

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly but, I got the impression the battery replacement program costs around $100 bucks. You don't pay for this service untill your ipad no longer holds a charge. So after say, a couple of years your ipad dosn't hold a charge then you can get it replaced. This is not a warranty progam you would pay for up front right? I don't think they will ask you to buy a Apple Care Plan as well as a Battery replacement program. I would definetly consider the Apple Care Program before the year warrany runs out but I'm not sure I will give them another $100 bucks up front just in case the battery needs to replaced. That could be a deal breaker for me.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly but, I got the impression the battery replacement program costs around $100 bucks. You don't pay for this service untill your ipad no longer holds a charge. So after say, a couple of years your ipad dosn't hold a charge then you can get it replaced. This is not a warranty progam you would pay for up front right? I don't think they will ask you to buy a Apple Care Plan as well as a Battery replacement program. I would definetly consider the Apple Care Program before the year warrany runs out but I'm not sure I will give them another $100 bucks up front just in case the battery needs to replaced. That could be a deal breaker for me.

You are correct..the Battery Replacement deal is after the included 1 year warranty or the applecare warranty is up they will replace the unit if the battery no longer holds a charge. Somehow the discussion got sidetracked to Applecare.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the squaretrade plan. Covers everything, including accident and liquid, for 3 years for $135.99. Can't beat it when you have little kids around.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of you who are pretty sure you'll upgrade to a 2nd gen when it comes out... it might be worth it to just see if they do a 1-year refresh on models like they do with the iPhone because if they do... I'll be getting the 2nd gen right around the time the manufacturer's warranty runs out on the 1st gen.

XopenexHFN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently spoke to Apple customer service re:battery swap for my iPad 3. Lady stated Apple is charging $299 for the service as they don't just replace the battery but swap out iPads for a refurbished one. I guess the $100 charge is out the window. Apple seemed to have wisened up for the folks that actually pay the (formerly) $100 fee for a new (refurb) iPad as opposed to their scratched up/cracked/ or otherwise "imperfect" iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently spoke to Apple customer service re:battery swap for my iPad 3. Lady stated Apple is charging $299 for the service as they don't just replace the battery but swap out iPads for a refurbished one. I guess the $100 charge is out the window. Apple seemed to have wisened up for the folks that actually pay the (formerly) $100 fee for a new (refurb) iPad as opposed to their scratched up/cracked/ or otherwise "imperfect" iPad.

The Apple website states that the cost of an iPad battery replacement is $99.00 plus $10.77 shipping. Take a look at Apple's battery replacement page. http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/replacements.html

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scifan is right about the battery replacement fee, which has always been that price for iPad. To me, there's no need to worry about the battery. The battery in the iPad 1 that I got three years ago and used extensively is still going strong. I recently gave it to a teenager, and he and his siblings use it even more than I do, with the original battery continuing to hold a charge fine.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scifan is right about the battery replacement fee, which has always been that price for iPad. To me, there's no need to worry about the battery. The battery in the iPad 1 that I got three years ago and used extensively is still going strong. I recently gave it to a teenager, and he and his siblings use it even more than I do, with the original battery continuing to hold a charge fine.

Agreed, the battery in these things seems amazing to me. And, for $100 bucks I'd gladly replace it should I have to.

Most reactions

Latest posts