What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't charge

johnny33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

My iPad (3rd generation) stopped charging (it was only working sometimes for awhile, now it won't work at all). When I plug it in the battery indicator comes on screen (red / no charge) and the lightning charging symbol. Then after a couple seconds it goes black. It doesn't charge.

I know the power adapter and the USB -> charging cord are okay, as they work for other devices. I cleaned out the connecting port and it looks clean.

Hoping someone can tell me what might be wrong with my iPad. Could the battery be dead? Or should I replace the connector?

Thanks!
Johnny

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad (3rd generation) stopped charging (it was only working sometimes for awhile, now it won't work at all). When I plug it in the battery indicator comes on screen (red / no charge) and the lightning charging symbol. Then after a couple seconds it goes black. It doesn't charge.

I know the power adapter and the USB -> charging cord are okay, as they work for other devices. I cleaned out the connecting port and it looks clean.

Hoping someone can tell me what might be wrong with my iPad. Could the battery be dead? Or should I replace the connector?

Hi Johnny.. - welcome to the forum! :) Not sure if you bought this 'old' iPad new when released or as a used/refurb model, but the device was released in March 2012 and soon will be 7 years old, plus is stuck on an old iOS version (9.3.5) (see Wiki pic below) - concerning the battery, you would need to assess the 'battery health' and the number of recharge cycles, which can be done w/ Coconut Battery on an Apple computer - likely at that age the battery is an important factor but would need to be tested, as would the charging port - if you are near an Apple store, then a free diagnostics assessment could be done and expert advise provided. Let me stop there for you to respond - but a newer iPad is likely in your future. Dave
Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 6.39.09 PM.png

OP
J

johnny33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Dave. I have indeed owned and used this iPad since 2012. I don't have an Apple laptop, but that's a good idea to ask for a battery assessment at an Apple store. If someone could tell me that the battery or charging port was likely the problem I'd attempt replacing one or the other, it's just not clear to me at the moment.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Dave. I have indeed owned and used this iPad since 2012. I don't have an Apple laptop, but that's a good idea to ask for a battery assessment at an Apple store. If someone could tell me that the battery or charging port was likely the problem I'd attempt replacing one or the other, it's just not clear to me at the moment.

Hi again - no one can tell you the answer to your question in bold above in this forum format - you need to have the iPad assessed for the battery's status - the 'Genius Bar' at an Apple store is your best option; also keep in mind that a battery replacement will cost you $100 (quote below) - in my opinion if that is the 'diagnosis', you should invest the money in a newer iPad model, whether new or used/refurb - Dave :)

iPad Battery Replacement Without a Warranty - if your iPad is out of warranty, the news is still pretty good, though a bit more expensive. In that case, Apple will repair your battery or replace the iPad for US$99 (plus $6.95 shipping, and tax). The process for initiating this repair is the same as for iPads under warranty: start a service request on Apple's site or go to an Apple Store. Even if you have to pay, $99 is a good price for getting your iPad working again. That said, you should consider that cost versus the cost of getting an entirely new iPad. If the iPad whose battery has failed is pretty old, it may be better to use that $106 towards the cost of buying a new iPad rather than repairing an old one. (Source)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure you are using at least a 10 watt charge brick , preferably the official apple one. The smaller iPhone brick will not work. Also check inside for damage or dirt in the 30 pin connector. Sometimes the corners can break off If the cord isn’t inserted properly. The charge port could be replaced but it you’ve never worked on an iPad before, send it to a reputable shop or go into it as a diy that will require patience and a steady hand.

OP
J

johnny33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't see any broken pins or dirt in the connector port but I'll open the iPad up and take a better look - after taking it to genius bar to get their opinion. I was hoping someone might recognize the symptoms online but I guess it's not that simple. Thanks for the help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't see any broken pins or dirt in the connector port but I'll open the iPad up and take a better look - after taking it to genius bar to get their opinion. I was hoping someone might recognize the symptoms online but I guess it's not that simple. Thanks for the help.

Charging problems w/ iPads has been a common question over the years on this forum - the advice received is fairly typical - good luck w/ your Genius Bar appointment - might be a simple explanation or not - let us know the results which may help others reading this thread. Dave

Most reactions