What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Essential iPad Tips & Tricks [Gizmodo]

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
500x_tiptricktenner.jpg

Any idiot can use an iPad at a basic level. It's designed that way. But even still, there are things that you're just supposed to magically know-things no one ever necessarily tells you. So we're here to help.

The Hard Reset

The single most common thing people don't realize about the iPhone OS (from my experience) is how to perform a hard reset - which you'll find extremely useful in cases when the system freezes.

Just hold the top (power) and bottom front (home) button for a few seconds. Your iPad will restart. To force quit an application, just hold the home button by itself in a similar fashion.

Cut, Copy and Paste for Experts
500x_copypastetip.jpg

Copying text is as easy as double tapping a word. But when you want to copy a whole paragraph, like for an address, you have to stretch those annoying little blue knobs...or do you?

Tap any editable text four times. You'll highlight the whole paragraph.

Import Your Own (Free) Books
500x_tipstricksfree.jpg

Apple's iBooks app is your portal to reading and buying eBooks on the iPad - and it includes a section with a few free books. But don't forget, just like iTunes and the iPod can import and play music downloaded elsewhere, the iTunes and the iPad can import and display books downloaded elsewhere. Formats are limited, however. The iPad only supports ePub (with or without DRM).

Your local library may be a great source for free ePub checkouts. Also, Project Gutenberg has 30,000 free ePub books you can download, all of which have fallen out of copyright. There's lots of good stuff in this collection if you read classics, and the project even has an RSS list for new arrivals.

Easy Mute
There you are, in the back row of a funeral just minding your own business when, oops, you forgot to mute those YouTube clips on your iPad! No worries. There's a quick way to cut the speaker.

Holding down the volume down button for about two seconds will mute your iPad.

Never Buy a Digital Photo Frame Again
500x_tipstricksslide.jpg

You probably know by now that the iPad doubles as a digital picture frame. You can access this function a few ways, but the easiest way?

When you wake the iPad, look to the right of Slide to Unlock. You'll see a flower. Click it. The slideshow will begin after a moment. Toggle the speed in Settings - oh, and while you're at it, turn off "zoom in on faces" - it tends to just grain/muck up your photos.

Take Giant Screenshots
Another oldie but goody that many that many people don't realize you can do in the iPhone OS: screenshot anything you're looking at. And keep in mind, when this happens on the iPad, it's at 768x1024 resolution - making it potentially a lot more useful in the full-sized monitor realm than iPhone screenshots.

Push the top (power) and home buttons at once for half a second. The photo will be stored in your photo library.

Super Fast Webpage Scrolling
So you're all the way to the bottom of a blog when you realize that you want to read a story back at the top. Don't do the whole repeatedly drag your finger across the screen thing. That's a horrible method for covering a lot of real estate. Instead:

Tap the title bar once. WOOOOSSHHH. You're right back on top of the page. (Making "wooosh" noises doesn't expedite the process, but it does wonders for general effect.)

Preview More Of Your Mail
500x_tipstricks5lines.jpg

Did you know that you can set your mail to preview more than two lines? The iPhone has this option, too, but its smaller screen means that it's not so practical. On the iPad, however, I find the feature is pretty handy for skimming several emails without opening them.

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts and Calendars and select "5 lines" under Preview. Also, while you're at it, you might want to update your Push email from "Manual" if you like to have your messages waiting when you open the Mail app. Of course, this will drain power a bit more quickly.
Bring Up the Virtual Keyboard With a Real Keyboard

When you have a Bluetooth keyboard connected to your iPad, the virtual keyboard will cease to appear. (This is a good thing.) However, what if, for some random reason, you needed that virtual keyboard? Don't unpair your Bluetooth. Just...

Hit the eject key on Apple's physical keyboard. It'll bring up the virtual one.
Downrez 1080P HD Videos...Or You Can't Watch Them

500x_500x_ipadvideotips_01.jpg

You may have 1080P videos on your computer, but the iPad can't play them - in fact, iTunes won't even let you copy them to the iPad! The easiest solution? Downrez them to 720P using an app like Handbreak.

Joel gives you a full tutorial on that here.

Hopefully you learned at least a thing or two, but of course, the iPad is a new device. So we need your help spotting the best tips - share them in the comments!

Source

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
''Any idiot can use an iPad at a basic level''
Source

The first idiot is them, who need tip's for use an iPhone or an iPad some media for get audience they are reading to say everything

BTW: Cimo thanks for share

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this will be useful to people new to the iPad and iPhone OS. Because there are quite a few people, like my mother and my aunt who both bought iPads, but are not "techies" at all. They barely know how to operate Windows other than opening internet explorer and saving pictures. This kind of article will be very helpful to them when they go the Google search and type in "iPad tips" or something like that.

OP
C

cimousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cimousa.com
Exactly. I've been noticing that older people are more accepting to the iPad than they were to the iPhone so there are probably many 'newbies' to the iPhone OS. I think this is a great thing and they will probably end up on this forum some way or another.

I think this will be useful to people new to the iPad and iPhone OS. Because there are quite a few people, like my mother and my aunt who both bought iPads, but are not "techies" at all. They barely know how to operate Windows other than opening internet explorer and saving pictures. This kind of article will be very helpful to them when they go the Google search and type in "iPad tips" or something like that.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

about that i agree with you, but do you imagine your mother ( i don't imagine mine) going on google search '' iPad tips'' the article himself is good is just start by ''Any idiot can use an iPad at a basic level'' ... they mean need to be idiot to buy and use an iPad ??

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They aren't saying you have to be an idiot to use an iPad. They are saying someone with even zero computing experience can use the basic functions of an iPad. The article is to show people like this a few simple tips to do some more advanced stuff.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The posts that you're commenting on were posted in April 2010, just after the first iPad had been released, so there probably wasn't as much experience about iPads around then as there is now.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts