What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Essential software for your new iPad

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like there is still a huge number of people who are buying iPads for the first time, so this thread aims to let you know what you need on it right off the bat.

Since iWorks went free for new purchases a while back, may as well start off with that. Pages is a word-processor that is file-compatible with MS Word, Numbers is a spreadsheet with compatibility with Excel and Keynote replaces Powerpoint.

Next up, you should grab iBooks. It will read .epub and .pdf files, and is your portal to ebooks in the iTunes Store. You can also download free books from a variety of sources including the Gutenberg Project and read them with iBooks.

Remote enables you to control AppleTV and iTunes on your PC/Mac using your iPad.

Last, have a look at iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand.

All of the above were written by Apple for iDevices, and cannot fail to enhance your experience with your new device.

Over to the forum. What do you consider to be essential additions to a new iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PCalc Lite:

Unlike the iPhone, the iPad does not come with a native calculator app. My favorite is PCalc. There is a free Lite version which will be more than enough for most people. You can upgrade it with in app purchases if you decide you want all the extras.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
VLC, plays almost any media format.
Flipboard, a news aggregator that's hard to beat.
MxTube, my favorite YouTube client.
Weblock, like Adblock for iOS, and not just for browsers.
Find My iPhone. Get this RIGHT NOW, before your device goes missing.

All of these are free, BTW.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Online storage in general - helps transfer files between devices; to name just a few: Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Sugar Sync

Evernote - there's a lot more you can do than just take notes
Skitch - for photos (blur, crop, write on them, ...)

Kindle - to access and read ebooks from Amazon

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Online storage in general - helps transfer files between devices; to name just a few: Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Sugar Sync

Evernote - there's a lot more you can do than just take notes
Skitch - for photos (blur, crop, write on them, ...)

Kindle - to access and read ebooks from Amazon
Kindle, n my book, is a great app, esp if you are an Amazon Prime member. Free books monthly.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoodReader is great. You can create a file folder directory. I use it with Pages. I create my docs in Pages and open them in GoodReader as a PDF. This way I can utilize a file directory system. I access both of those apps everyday, numerous times.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another good app for those who "attend" Citrix hosted Webinars is GoTo Meeting. You can "attend" the Webinar on your GoTo Meeting App. I do this for my embroidery software Webinars. I use GoTo Meeting on my iPad and can open my software on my PC and so the exercises as the presenter is doing it.

The embroidery software I use has just switched to Citrix as a webinar provider and it is wonderful!

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Want to view websites and/or videos that use Flash? Use Photon as your browser instead of Safari to visit and a website that uses Flash or view that video on the website that uses Flash. I have not run across a website or video that was not compatible with Photon.

One of the sites I purchase machine embroidery supplies from uses flash for close up views of their products for some reason, so I have to use Photon when I want to visit that site. Some people post videos that require a Flash on Facebook, so when I run across one, I use Photon instead of Safari.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Search the apps for local newspaper apps, and for newspaper apps in areas you are interested in (where my kids live). Many have apps that are available, usually free. I keep up on our local news while we are away.

One allows me to select cities for their weather section, not just get local. I select the cities that we will traveling through on trips and can keep track of weather we will be encountering, or if need be, cancel the trip. Great for when we will be traveling when there is a possibility that winter weather is still an issue. We don't travel in the winter, but, where I am, in order to be completely sure you won't hit ice or snow, you have to stop traveling the end of October and don't start until May. If we have to go somewhere before March or after November, I always plot my weather!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to add Apps Gone Free

I'll second this! It's an excellent way to keep track of apps that, well - have been made free [most for a limited time]. I have my app set up so that I receive a notification when apps have "gone free." Usually, I get notified once a day. I open the app and check for any deals that may interest me.

Cool thing about the app is you can also search for any app (phone or iPad) to find the original price. Very handy when you own it and so the AppStore only shows the "open" button or the download button yet you want to know the price...

Marilyn

parven arora

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are most useful app for ipad
1. Retrica: Great Camera App for Classic Looks
2. Chrome: Boost the browsing on your iPhone
3. Facebook: Staying connected with friends is faster than ever

Most reactions

Latest posts