What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube videos are not playing in HD

Ujolenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently purchased iPad 4 16GB Wifi. I have noticed that embedded HD videos on websites are playing only in standard resolution, probably 480p. Same problem is with Youtube. Even on desktop version of site. I always thought that iPad will choose highest video quality possible. I have pretty fast internet connection so that shouldn't be a problem (i get 30 Mbps down trough wifi).
Any ideas? It's driving me crazy. Such beautiful display with ultra high resolution and I have to watch it in low res.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on the quality of the internet connection at a given point in time. Just because you have 30 Mbps service doesn't mean you get 30 Mbps down from any place all the time. Weather, load, disasters, can all impact the speed of a connection. Even moving to different locations in your house can impact speed. And if you have other wireless users nearby, whose signals compete with yours, speed can be impacted. These services adjust the quality of the stream to ensure you get something rather than nothing. I suggest you experiement with different times of day and try to get as close to your router as possible to help boost its signal. Having an up-to-date router and router firmware is a good idea too.

OP
U

Ujolenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it should play those videos in HD?
In fact I have 100/100 Mbps connection. 30 Mbps is what I have measured on ipad with speedtest.net. My router has wifi "n" standard and I am just about 1 meter from it. Download speeds trough ipad are great.. more than enough to stream hd video. Just to be clear, I have no problems with watching 1080p youtube videos trough Jasmine player.
Any suggestions? I will try to change some router settings, but I think that problem must be elswhere.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So it should play those videos in HD?
In fact I have 100/100 Mbps connection. 30 Mbps is what I have measured on ipad with speedtest.net. My router has wifi "n" standard and I am just about 1 meter from it. Download speeds trough ipad are great.. more than enough to stream hd video. Just to be clear, I have no problems with watching 1080p youtube videos trough Jasmine player.
Any suggestions? I will try to change some router settings, but I think that problem must be elswhere.

Well, if you can watch them at 1080p on jasmine, the problem cannot be your iPad. Maybe those websites you are using are overloaded and cannot send you HD videos. They have bandwidth constraints too.

OP
U

Ujolenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's possible, but all of them? Same thing happens when I open video on desktop Youtube site. Weirdest thing of all is that if I open posted youtube link from the Facebook app, it will take me to the same desktop youtube site, but from here all videos are played in HD. So if facebook app opens it's own browser window, all is fine..

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Who knows...maybe youtube is controlling what it sends you in some funny way. I can't get nothing from them right now...just a spinning bunch of dots...

OP
U

Ujolenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It probably somehow thinks that I have slow internet connection. I have even changed router for another one and everything is still the same. I'll give it a few days.. but after that I am probably going to return it and take my money back.. What a disappointment :(

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It probably somehow thinks that I have slow internet connection. I have even changed router for another one and everything is still the same. I'll give it a few days.. but after that I am probably going to return it and take my money back.. What a disappointment :(

Return your iPad for this?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

WoW....Seriously?
You purchased your iPad just for Youtube HD?

There's so much more to do with your iPad 4...........you need to broden your horizons IMHO.

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WoW....Seriously?
You purchased your iPad just for Youtube HD?

There's so much more to do with your iPad 4...........you need to broden your horizons IMHO.

I hope it's a misunderstanding over returning the router and not the iPad. The iPad has nothing to do with the quality of your internet connection. Obviously if you're having issues with YouTube on your desktop, it's not something with the iPad. Have you tried watching Netflix or Hulu (assuming you have a subscription)? I find that my fast internet (18 Mbps) at home is more than adequate to deliver crisp quality video. Having said that, I'm sure that the HD video travelling over WiFi doesn't hold a candle to 4G.

Also, just because it's a retina display device doesn't mean that everything will display crisp as retina is touted. The app has to support retina display, and while a lot of apps do, it's not just a guaranteed out of the box thing for an app.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find that watching 1080p videos on a screen as small as an iPad's to be a very underwhelming experience, anyway. You can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p video on the iPad. Might as well use the lower resolution to save file size. Same for streaming. When the difference becomes apparently is when you scale up the screen size....try viewing the two on a 67-inch TV and you will see a difference.

OP
U

Ujolenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant to return it IF it is somehow faulty. I have to try other wifi networks to find out if it's problem with my internet connection or not. I will probably go to store and try other ipads.. I was too lazy to write that, because it's hard for me to compose sentences in English :) But it's just weird because I tried 2 different routers with different settings and everything is the same. Interesting is that if I set Jasmine player to automatically select video quality, video will play in low resolution. But I can ofcourse force it to play in 1080p. Unfortunately I can't try Hulu because it's not available outside US. But HD videos play fine on Vimeo website or in IMDB application.

Can you try this link please?
it's trailer for Men in Black 3 on desktop youtube.. I get only low res pixlated video. I mean.. it's max 480p

Last edited by a moderator:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I meant to return it IF it is somehow faulty. I have to try other wifi networks to find out if it's problem with my internet connection or not. I will probably go to store and try other ipads.. I was too lazy to write that, because it's hard for me to compose sentences in English :) But it's just weird because I tried 2 different routers with different settings and everything is the same. Interesting is that if I set Jasmine player to automatically select video quality, video will play in low resolution. But I can ofcourse force it to play in 1080p. Unfortunately I can't try Hulu because it's not available outside US. But HD videos play fine on Vimeo website or in IMDB application.

Can you try this link please?

You have a definite problem somewhere.....
I played it on my desktop PC first then grabbed my iPad 4 and they both play in HD.
Absolutely incredible HD trailer IMHO..............very high quality video.
Bottom picture is a screen shot of my iPad playing the video...............

11-17-2012 7-40-11 AM.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to use a wifi connection somewhere else? Maybe the problem lies with your Internet service provider, not your router or iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts